Remember these? It’s very possible that you saw them from the Dessert Party that I held in the summer. For that party, I created 12 desserts each themed with a different calendar month. I shared many of the recipes right after, but some of the fall and winter ones just didn’t seem appropriate for July. So, I’ve been saving this good one for awhile, waiting for a day when the weather was crisp and the leaves had started to change. (Also- when I knew I’d be leaving for a month, I knew the more recipes I had saved the better!)
These little “Mini-buns” are extremely easy. They are essentially the same recipe as the Cinnamon Roll Muffins that I made a few months ago with a few changes. I added a pecans and cranberries to the cinnamon sugar mixture and cut them into tinier pieces so they’d fit into mini muffin tins. The result? A bite-sized breakfast treat that tastes sweet and nutty. My then pregnant friend Amber claimed these were her perfect breakfast and took all the leftovers home. I think these and a cup of coffee on the to would be perfect for a busy morning.
One more thing before I post the recipe: I am so excited and honored that I was nominated for Best New Blog. I get to attend the Foodbuzz awards next month and will be there for the award ceremony! If you feel so inclined, click the picture below to see the nominees and vote. Anyone and everyone can vote so spread the word until 10/17 when voting ends. I love having this blog and it feels so great to have support from the blogging community. :)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 3 cups flour plus more for dusting
- 2 tbsp. butter, room temperature
- ⅔ cups brown sugar
- ¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries chopped
- ⅓ cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp. milk or cream
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Measure the brown sugar, baking soda, salt, vanilla and egg into a mixing bowl. Add the buttermilk. Mix together with a fork. Add the flour. Stir until thoroughly combined with a large spoon - do not over mix!
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or two. Roll the dough into a 12-inch by 24-inch rectangle. Using a rubber spatula, spread with butter. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon first, and then the pecans and cranberries.
- Roll the dough into a log and stretch slightly. Cut into one-inch pieces and put the pieces into greased mini muffin tins.
- Bake for 10- 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes, and then remove from the muffin tins.
- Drizzle with icing (if using) when cool
Adapted from: The Comfort of Cooking