Freezer-ready Breakfast Burritos

Freezer ready Breakfast Burritos via The Baker Chick

As I mentioned last week, two of my goals for the new year are to cook more (vs. mostly baking,) and to stop comparing myself to others. One of my biggest faults in this department is trying to figure out exactly what I should and shouldn’t post on The Baker Chick. You may say, “It’s your blog- post whatever you want!” and you’re probably right, but I have always wanted this space to have a through-line, so my readers know what they’re going to get when they stop by. Does that mean I can still post about my personal life? What about savory food and dinners? Will you guys be as interested in a meal as you are in a fabulous dessert? Well- I figure I can spend my time worrying and wondering, or just go for it and see what happens. This recipe has truly made my life so much easier and I think it’s worth sharing! And- an hour in the kitchen has created home-cooked breakfast for 2 weeks which is a big deal for this non-breakfast-eating gal..

Freezer ready Breakfast Burritos via The Baker Chick

The idea here is to make a huge batch of breakfast burritos that can easily be frozen for a quick hearty breakfast that requires little effort to heat and eat. Obviously these can be adapted to your taste based on what you have around. I scrambled my eggs with some sauteed onion and green pepper and topped each burrito with cheddar, crispy bacon and a bit of hot salsa. They are then wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and put into a freezer bag. The batch I made yielded 15 burritos, but you could obviously make even more if you have a large family.

Freezer ready Breakfast Burritos via The Baker Chick

I used whole wheat tortillas which can be a little slimy when microwaved. To remedy this: I highly suggest nuking them for 60 seconds followed by a trip to the toaster oven, regular oven or even a frying pan to crisp up the wrap and add a wonderful texture.  Is it too soon to say I’m a breakfast convert?

Freezer ready Breakfast Burritos via The Baker Chick

Freezer-ready Breakfast Burritos

Yield: 15 burritos

Ingredients

• 15 whole wheat tortillas
  • 16 eggs- beaten with a splash of milk, salt and pepper
  • 1 green pepper chopped
  • 1 medium sized onion chopped
  • 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups of cooked, crumbled bacon
  • hot salsa (optional)

Instructions

1. Sauté the onion in some olive oil until lightly browned.
  2. Add the peppers and cook for another few minutes or until soft.
  3. Add the beaten eggs and cook on medium heat and stir frequently until cooked through.
  4. Assemble the burritos- being careful not to put too much filling in or they won't roll up as easily.
  5. Wrap each one snugly with plastic wrap and place them in freezer bags.
  6. To prepare: remove plastic wrap, and loosely wrap the burrito in a paper towel. Microwave for 60 seconds, and toast to finish in a toaster oven or in a skillet. (You can also just nuke for 2 minutes but I prefer the toasty texture.)

Idea from: Lovely Little Snippets

Freezer ready Breakfast Burritos via The Baker Chick  Freezer ready Breakfast Burritos via The Baker Chick  Freezer ready Breakfast Burritos via The Baker Chick

bananabread
bananapuddingcupcakes3
cookies2

Comments

1. Heather Tullos says

I make breakfast sandwiches for my other half to tromp out the door with every morning… this would make my morning life waaaaay easier!

Also love this idea. If it makes you feel better, I struggle with the same thing on my blog sometimes. After much hair pulling, I finally decided that my blog is fun for me to write and I need to keep it fun, so I post what I want.
    Good luck!

I LOVE stuff like this because weekdays are so tempting to grab some fast food along with coffee on the way to work.

And granted, my blog doesn’t have nearly the audience as yours, I feel the same way about posting things outside the imaginary limits I’ve created for myself. How silly!

4. Casmiles says

I love it – thanks – while I truly watch for your “goodies”, this is fabulous. I don’t know why I didn’t think of it myself. I’ve just retired and joined the gym. Have found I (obviously) need to eat BEFORE going or life is not fun. Too hard that early when rushing to get to early classes. This is the answer. You go girl! ps…did I see guac(amole) in your picture too? I was wondering how that would freeze?

5. Tracey says

This is such a fun idea!! I’m terrible about making healthy choices at breakfast. Definitely adding this to my to-do list.

I have the same worries about what to post on my blog. I remember how scared I was when I first started posting more savory things but I’m so glad I did – it’s really expanded our horizons at home and we’ve found so many great new recipes we love :)

No guac! You may see the green from the peppers mixed into the eggs :) I actually think that avocado would freeze OK, as long as you don’t mind it being heated up with the rest of the burrito.

You could also just spread some on top before eating! :)

7. Mariah Magagnotti says

I’m not too sure about breakfast burritios, but I do love how simple it would be to have on hand! And FTR, I love a food blog where you get to know the person behind the blog. And I love all food, sweet or savory, so I’d love for you to post what you love ;)

8. Carolyn says

I love your baking, but I also love good cooking ideas! As others have said, it’s great to know the person behind the blog!

9. Thea says

Wow, what a great idea! I’m lazy in the breakfast dept. and so are my young adult “kids”, so this is a winner! We just got back from Kaua’i and had the best tacos at Tiki Tacos in Kapaa. The tortillas were hand made and I think that had a lot to do with it. I vowed when I got home that I would hunt down a tortilla press and some recipes, and now I know what to put inside them!
    Mahalo!

First off, these look amazing… love the idea of homemade breakfast ‘fast-food’
    second, this is your blog… so post whatever you want! those that only come for the desserts don’t have to read about breakfast, or dinner, or what you did last weekend… but I’m sure the rest of us will enjoy the variety :)

Have a great week,

¤´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·`¤… Jennifer

11. Jill says

Hey Audra,
    I think this recipe looks fabulous and would love to give it a try. I was wondering if you have ever tried heating them without a microwave and just in a toaster oven? I don’t own or use a microwave and use my toaster oven exclusively.
    Jill