Mixed Berry Pie

Mixed Berry Pie via The Baker Chick

I love pie so much. Honestly (and I know I say this a lot,) I think it is my favorite type of dessert. I love cakes, cupcakes, puddings, and cookies like the next girl, but pie just gets me every time. Give me a flaky crust, a thick fruit filling with a dollop of whipped or ice cream and I’m in heaven. (I also love cream pies, custard pies, chess pies etc- I don’t discriminate!)

In fact, lately I have been dreaming of opening my own pie shop- a cute little store front that only sells one thing- PIE- slices, whole you name it I sell it. For now it may just be a pipe dream- but someday maybe I’ll be posting about a little store front all of my own. Who knows!

Mixed Berry Pie via The Baker Chick

Anyway- come summer months, I would be making this tart and juicy berry pie left and right. It’s to die for. It’s full of strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries. It isn’t even a little soupy and the filling is thick and perfect. The key to the perfect filling is the thickener I’ve been blabbing about for ages- instant tapioca. Just go out and get some already!! If you like summer fruit pies (especially berries, but peaches are juicy too,) it’s the absolute best thickener. I’ve found it at the regular grocery store, but recently I bought 6 big bags on Amazon. (I figure everyone I know who likes baking needs this in their lives so I bought in bulk.)

This pie is summer on a plate to me. Tons of juicy berries, not too sweet, and a flaky melt-in your mouth crust, (that doesn’t get soggy from a watery, soupy filling!) I made this for Andy’s birthday earlier this week and it was gone within 24 hours. (Because fruit pies are totally acceptable as breakfast food- though we did share a little bit.) I plan to make lots more pies this summer so I hope you’re up for that!

Mixed Berry Pie

Yield: 1 9-inch pie

Ingredients

• 1 double Pie Crust, chilled
  • 7 cups of berries (I used an equal combo of strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries)
  • 1/4 plus 1 tablespoon instant tapioca
  • 1 cup sugar
  • zest of one lemon
  • heavy cream for brushing on the crust

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 425F. In a large bowl gently toss the berries with the tapioca, sugar, and lemon zest- set aside.
  2. Roll one of the Pie Crusts out to an 11 inch round and drape it into a 9 inch pie dish. Pour the berries into the crust. Roll the second half of the crust out and drape it over the top of the berries. Crimp the edges and trim away an excess.
  3. Use a paring knife to make a few slits in the top of the crust.Brush the top and edges of the crust with heavy cream.
  4. Bake at 425F for 15 minutes and then reduce the heat to 350F. Bake for another 35-40 minutes or until the crust is golden.
  5. Let the pie cool before slicing. (The cooler the pie, the more solid the slice will be!)

Mixed Berry Pie via The Baker Chick  Mixed Berry Pie via The Baker Chick  Mixed Berry Pie via The Baker Chick

bananabread
bananapuddingcupcakes3
cookies2

Comments

1. Tricia says

ok so i made your blackberry pie last week and it was so dry….should i have mashed up my berries? they were not the juiciest i realized afterwards! i guess i assumed the berries would burst and the juices would be released but they didnt…and the tapioca never melted…it was like i could see each kernel? what did i do wrong! and HELLO! HI! I miss you and hope you are 1000% better! sounds like it!
    xoxo tricia

You know Tricia I think the pie needed to bake a bit longer. I made something similar to the blackberry pie today and I could see what the filling was doing. The berries didn’t burst and absorb the tapioca for longer than expected. I’d add to the baking time- my oven runs hot!

• Tricia says

thank you so much!!! i might have done that but i thought my crust looked perfect! i think i probably did take it out just when the timer went off and could have spared leaving it in for five more minutes….and im glad you see what i mean about the tapioca not really melting or being absorbed! oh i made the gooey lemon rolls and they were a HUGE hit…xoxooxoxoxoxo

2. rachel says

For the tapioca it says “1/4 plus one tablespoon” is that 1/4 tablespoon but a whole tablespoon or 1/4 cup plus one tablespoon? I love this idea to thicken up my filling! I can’t wait to make this!

YOU SHOULD TOTALLY OPEN YOUR OWN PIE SHOP!

I’m a big fan of cream pies, but this pie looks delicious. Plus, since there’s fruit it’s totally healthy, right? :)

I love pies, too even if I have to confess I’m more of a cake and cookie girl. But who can resist to such a gorgeous looking and berry-full pie?! This totally screams summer to me and I can’t wait to give it a go!

xo, Elisa

To say that I, too, am obsessed with pie would be an understatement, and I would eat the CRAP out of this pie. Give me the whole dang thing – it’ll be gone in less than 24 hours. Oops.

6. Deanna Wolowitz says

I love pie!! If you open a shop, I’ll be one of the first on line! Quick question for this pie: do you think using frozen berries would work? If so, should I keep them frozen or should I thaw and drain the juices? Thanks!

Hi Deanna! I think frozen berries would be fine, but I would thaw and drain most of the juices. The Tapioca should help to absorb the rest :)

7. Lisa says

Hi- I’m relatively new to your blog and love your recipes and photography! I really enjoy your new Mom posts too! I just made this pie for our garden walk along with rosemary sugar cookies (I added 2 1/2 T of fresh rosemary to sugar cookie base). The pie stole the show!!! Thank you so much for posting, the tapioca tip is the answer to all my soupy pies!! Can’t wait to try your homey pie next! Ps- where did you get the pie pan for the honey pie? It’s darling!!

8. Tala says

Hi there! Can’t wait to make this for Thanksgiving this week… Did you cut the strawberries? And do you think I can cut corners and use a Pilsbury crusts (the kind in the freezer section)?

Love your blog!