Throughout my year and a half of blogging, I’ve gotten several requests from readers asking for specific types of recipes. One that I haven’t done nearly a good enough job of following through with is baking more vegan/dairy free treats. On any given day, I have the baking basics on hand, (eggs, butter, flour, etc.) so shopping for special ingredients isn’t in the cards. But- vegan girlfriends don’t turn 30 every day- so I knew I had to make my dear friend Emily something special.
You may not beleive me until you try it, but this chocolate cake is SO good- you’d never know it was dairy free. It is full of rich chocolatey flavor, moist, soft and perfectly crumbly. And best of all- there are no weird/special ingredients so you can make it without any extra preparation.
To assemble this cake, I used some of the techniques I learned from my Milk Bar Monday project. I baked the whole cake in a quarter sheet pan, and stamped out layers with a 6 inch cake ring. (I didn’t want the finished product to be too big. ) The bottom layer was made of smushed together scraps, and the whole thing was frozen for about an hour to help it all stay solid before I frosted it.
I wanted the cake to have a rustic feel, so I spread the frosting on simply and sprinkled some extra crumbs on top. The frosting was delicious and creamy and the perfect counterpart to this cake. I will be keeping this recipe around for awhile, and I think it would be great as cupcakes too. If you have a vegan friend or family member or if you just like really good chocolate cake, this recipe is a winner!
PS- Do you want to know how to make a cute flag cake topper like the one above? I’m posting a how-to tutorial on Friday!!
- vegan chocolate cake with fluffy vegan vanilla buttercream
- yields one quarter sheet pan cake
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup nonhydrogenated shortening
- 3½ cups powdered sugar, sifted if clumpy
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup plain soy milk or soy creamer
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a quarter sheet pan or a 9x5 inch loaf pan
- Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar and water. Mix together until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20-25 minutes- or until a cake tester comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Beat the shortening until fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.
- Add the vanilla and soy milk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.
Recipe adapted from All Recipes