I’m so excited to share this glorious treat with you today. Not only because it consists of brownie-cookies with salted caramel buttercream sandwiched together all whoopie-pie-like, but also because I made these for a very special blog-friend’s “Virtual” baby shower! Krissy from Krissy’s Creations is having a baby boy any day now, and though she lives too far away for an actual celebration, a few of her friends and I wanted to throw her a little “party” to celebrate the soon arrival of Baby.
I met Krissy last fall at the Foodbuzz Festival, and given that it was the day after I got engaged, and she was one of the first people I saw after it happened, I’ll always have special memories of that weekend. We both share a love for baking and I’ve loved getting to know Krissy over the last year.
In my following of Krissy’s blog, it’s become a known fact that the girl loves chocolate. Her husband Steve is more of a vanilla guy, but I know that Krissy loves anything chocolate- especially fudgy-gooey brownie. When I saw this recipe- I thought it would be perfect for her shower. Two, thick brownie-esque cookies and salty caramel filling is right up Krissy’s alley. (and mine. I ate about 5 of these.)
I was a bit skeptical of this recipe after seeing the dough. It looks more like brownie batter than cookie dough, but after baking- it turned into the most crackly, fudgy confection ever. I can’t wait to experiment with this cookie. The possibilities for fillings and mix-ins are endless!
A party isn’t a party with brownie pies alone, so check out the other lovely ladies and their creations below. Congrats Krissy and Steve!
Averie of Averie Cooks | Cinnamon Oatmeal Date Bars with Chocolate Ganache
Cassie of Bake Your Day | Red Bell Pepper & Ranch Cheese Dip
Erin of Big Fat Baker | Blueberry Punch
Jacqueline of The Dusty Baker | Kid-friendly Gluten-and-Dairy-Free Chicken Fingers
Lauren of Keep It Sweet | Baby Blue Cake Pops From Scratch
Nicole of Sweet Peony Blog | Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 12 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- salted caramel creme filling:
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 2 cups confectioner sugar
- ¼ cup caramel sauce
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Place butter in a saucepan over low heat and gently stir until melted. Add 7 oz. of chocolate and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat for 15 minutes or until pale and creamy. (I know that seems like a lot, but I think that's what makes this cookie's texture.) Add in flour, baking powder, melted chocolate mixture, remaining 5 oz. of chocolate and mix just to combine. (Don't overmix.) Chill batter for 10 minutes, but not more. Dough should still be slightly gooey, but not watery.
- Spoon 2 tablespoonful of the mixture, onto parchment lined bake sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 8–10 minutes or until puffed and cracked. Allow to cool completely on trays before transferring to a wire rack.
- Place softened butter in a bowl and beat until fluffy. Mix in confectioners sugar and salt, add in caramel and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Spread or pipe the frosting in between two cookies. Sandwich them together, and enjoy!!
Recipe adapted from: Camilla Styles