It’s no secret that I love football season. There’s something about the fact that it takes place during my favorite time of year, involves much of my favorite foods, and gives me an excuse to root for my beloved Packers that makes me go a bit nuts for it. Speaking of the food, I really can’t get enough- Chili, dips, snacks of all kinds- I love them all. Given last week kicked off football season, I just had to create a fun football snack for you all. (And the fact that it has my favorite team’s signature Green & Gold in the mix doesn’t hurt!)
For this bread I started with a beautiful loaf of this crusty bread. (I love any excuse to make it really!) After cutting a “grid” of sorts into the bread all the way down to the bottom crust, I stuffed all the makings of jalapeño poppers into all the crevices. I started with thin slices of jalapeño peppers*, and then finished with lots of cream cheese, scallions and cheddar. The whole thing gets baked until the peppers get all soft, the cheeses get melty, and everything gets all gooey and crisp. I can’t think of a better addition to your gameday spread!
Plus, this whole “stuff things into bread thing” is pretty addicting…what other ideas do you have for me?
*I’m sure everyone else know this but me, but please do yourself a favor and wear gloves when dealing with hot peppers. I learned this lesson the hard way!!
- 1 round loaf of crusty bread, (sourdough would be good too)
- 4 medium-sized jalapeño peppers, sliced thinly with the seeds removed.
- 1 8 oz pack of cream cheese, frozen until firm enough to slice
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- salt & pepper
- Using a sharp serrated knife, slice a grid into the top of the bread- cutting down to the bottom of the loaf but not all the way through.
- Stuff the peppers in each of the crevices, all the way down to the bottom. The more edges that have filling the better! Slice the cream cheese and stuff it in with the peppers. Continue with the scallions and then sprinkle the grated cheese on top. Add a bit of salt & pepper.
- Bake at 375F for 15-20 minutes or until the cheeses are melted and golden. Serve warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g