Attention Lemon Lovers! This blog is my personal family recipe book. It’s the thing I can someday pass to my kids as a reference for all the recipes they loved of mine. If this is your first time visiting you may want to check out some classics: Chocolate Chip Cookies, The Best Banana Bread Ever, Chocolate Cake etc.
This Lemon Pound Cake Recipe is an easy recipe that is essential for any home baker. Easy, classic, SO good. It is full of fresh ingredients like lemon zest, freshly squeezed lemon juice, & creamy greek yogurt. The lemon glaze on top seals in the moisture and adds a bright lemon flavor. If you love lemon desserts or lemon recipes in general I really suggest you check this one out! This is a classic pound cake recipe every home baker should have in their bag of tricks!
Qualities I look for in a Lemon Pound Cake Recipe:
- The opposite of dry, (you know the word I’m trying to avoid here….)
- Full of bright, juicy, lemon flavor from fresh lemons. (The best way to get lemon juice and lemon zest!)
- Easy and simple using common ingredients
This lemon cake is super lemon-y, and the addition of yogurt makes it just over-the top good. The texture is unreal. On it’s own, the cake isn’t actually overly sweet, but I drenched it in a lemon syrup over the entire cake and then a lemon glaze on top of that. Trust me- the combo of both is to die for. Can you tell I love this cake!?
Why is this such a moist pound cake? (Sorry I had to say the m word.)
- Poking holes into the top of the cake with a fork or skewer all over right when it’s warm for maximum syrup absorption.
- The sweet/tart lemon simple syrup which you drench the cake with- infusing it with lemon flavor and the perfect texture.
- Lemon glaze that dries hard while you let the cake cool and seals the cake- keeping the moisture inside.
- Adding the lemon zest to the sugar and mixing it a bit really releases the lemon flavors and helps them pop!
Ingredients needed for a Moist Lemon Pound Cake:
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Lemon Zest
- Greek Yogurt
- Room temperature eggs
- All purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Unsalted Butter
- Powdered Sugar for the glaze
- Vanilla Extract
- For Greek Yogurt: You can 100% use sour cream, regular yogurt, or buttermilk in place of the Greek Yogurt. I have made this with all those options and it has still turned out great
- For the Lemon Juice/ Lemon zest: This cake is also fabulous with lime juice and zest. I haven’t yet tried it with sweeter citrus like oranges but I have no doubt it would turn out well too! You could also use a smaller amount of lemon extract to get a similar lemon-y flavor.
Supplies Needed for this Lemon Pound Cake Recipe:
- Large Bowl for mixing the cake batter
- Hand mixer (or stand mixer!)
- Rubber spatula for cleaning the sides of the bowl.
- Medium Bowl for dry ingredients or flour mixture
- Small bowl for glaze.
- Small saucepan for making syrup
- Bowl for glaze
- Citrus Juicer
- Loaf Pan
- Plastic Wrap or an Airtight container for easy storage
- Wire Rack for cooling
- Cake tester (or toothpick) to check when loaf is done
- Measuring cup and spoons
- Nonstick cooking spray or butter to grease pans
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour (180g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar, (200g) plus ⅓ cup (67 g) for glaze
- zest of two lemons
- 4 eggs- room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup lemon juice for cake (2 oz) , plus ⅓ cup (2.6 oz) for syrup and 2 tablespoon for glaze
- ½ cup greek yogurt (143 g)
- ½ cup powdered sugar (50g)
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or you can use a hand mixer,) cream the butter, lemon zest and cup of the sugar until smooth.
- Add the eggs one and a time followed by the vanilla.Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until almost combined. Fold in the lemon juice and yogurt, finish mixing on low until combined. (Batter won't be perfectly smooth but that's Ok.)
- Pour batter into a buttered/floured 9 inch loaf pan. Bake at 325F for 60-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- For the Syrup:
Stir together ⅓ cup of lemon juice and ⅓ cup sugar until sugar has dissolved.
- For the Glaze:
Gradually add the lemon juice to the powdered sugar until desired drizzling consistency is reached. Add more juice/sugar as needed until it's as thick as you like.
- To Finish:
Turn the warm cake onto a wire rack and poke all over with a fork or skewer. Brush generously with the lemon syrup. (Do this when the cake is still warm!) Pour the glaze over the top. Serve warm or room temperature.
Recipe adapted from The Food Network
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.