Red Velvet Cupcakes for Two

Red Velvet Cupcakes for Two via The Baker Chick

Even though many people (me included,) have a love/hate relationship with Valentine’s Day, I can’t resist the over-load of sugary sweets. I mean any holiday that values chocolates,truffles and cute desserts is a reason for a dessert-girl to celebrate right? (Not to mention lots of pink, hearts and flowers!) In fact, I think it’s the perfect opportunity to whip out all my red-velvet skills for a holiday that has been rubbing red and pink on our faces since New Years. Right?

Red Velvet Cupcakes for Two via The Baker Chick

In my constant search for recipes that can be scaled down for small batches, I’ve created what I consider a perfect dessert for you and your loved one/roommate/mom. Because really- who needs a dozen red velvet cupcakes for dessert when you’re cooking a romantic meal for two? (Ok who am I kidding, I could eat both of these in one sitting…but at least I’m attempting at learning portion control.) I’m extra proud of this recipe because for the first time I developed the whole thing up myself. With lots of help from recipe testers (including Tracey, Lauren, Krissy and Samantha,) I’ve finally worked the kinks out and created what I consider a really delicious, well-portioned treat. The little cakes have a perfect touch of cocoa, are sweet without being over-poweringly so, and the tangy cream cheese frosting is (literally) the icing on the cake!

PS- This post is a contribution to British designer Edina Ronay’s blog to inspired by her Red Velvet Dress!

Red Velvet Cupcakes for Two via The Baker Chick

Red Velvet Cupcakes for Two

Yield: 2 cupcakes

• 1 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon sour cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 teaspoon red food coloring
  • 1 egg white*
  • 3 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons all purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • pinch of salt.
  • cream cheese frosting for two:
  • 2 oz. cream cheese- softened
  • 2 tablespoons of butter- softened
  • 1/2-3/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract.

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
  2. In a small bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
  3. In a second small bowl or spouted measuring cup, combine the melted butter and sugar. Stir until well-combined.
  4. Add the sour cream, vanilla, vinegar, food coloring and egg white, and mix until smooth and creamy.
  5. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and stir till combined- being careful not to over-mix.
  6. Divide batter between two cupcake liners Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Allow to cool before frosting.
  7. For the Frosting:
  8. Beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth and creamy. add the vanilla and powdered sugar, 1/4 cup at a time and mix until frosting is free of lumps, creamy and spreadable.

*From a medium or large egg. If using a jumbo or extra large egg, don't use the entire white, it will change the texture of the cake.

Red Velvet Cupcakes for Two via The Baker Chick  Red Velvet Cupcakes for Two via The Baker Chick  Red Velvet Cupcakes for Two via The Baker Chick

Oh, yay! The last batch held its perfect little dome! Though I must say, Ross didn’t mind that they collapsed a little on the earlier recipe…it left more room for that amazing frosting. Thanks for letting me help!

Oh I’m glad the last batch held up! I ended up adding the egg white and using sour cream/butter to increase the protein content. Thanks again for your help! :)

Thank you so much for scaling down red velvet cupcakes! I only recently tried my first red velvet cupcake (I’m a bit slow) and I fell in love with it! But like you say, sometimes you just don’t need a whole batch. At the moment I can only bake if I’m going to see family as my boyfriend and I won’t eat that many! I know what I’m making on Valentine’s day! :)

3. Pat b says

I just love reading your recipes, often it would be way too much (trying not to over indulge) I have tried a few. But, I can not wait to try these! Much thanks! *I loved seeing your Wedding photos* The best to you and your husband!

4. Becca from cookie jar treats says

These are precious! I’m starting to really get into the whole red velvet craze :) I will definitely be making these very soon :)

Aw thank you, I posted that “swirled frosting tutorial” awhile back, and I’ve been building on that skill. :) Also- I sat outside the window of Magnolia Bakery one day watching how they frosted their cupcakes…that’s what I was going for here :)

5. Louise says

other people use buttermilk instead of sour cream. actually, here in my country, it’s very hard to find buttermilk in supermarkets. and i know a way of substituting it. i’ve got some ingredients that call for your recipe except sour cream. so i can ask you how many teaspoon/tablespoon/cup of buttermilk? :) thanks!! i might try them as soon you’ll reply :)

These are PERFECT! My daughter loves red velvet anything, but my hubby doesn’t think they’re chocolaty enough. I need to treat Katie to your mini batch :)

Hello! As long as you give proper credit and a link back to my site- you can share the picture or recipe (but not both together please.) Thank you! :)

I don’t really care about valentines day either, but I do love everything pink and red this time of year! Red velvet is actually one of my favorite treats, especially when covered in cream cheese frosting, yums!

8. Reba says

I love that you only make 2…. So i don’t have to eat a dozen cupcakes. I just made these and they turned out awesome. Thank you for sharing.

9. Dominique says

These were so so good! The cake was fluffy and my boyfriend loved the frosting!! This is the 2nd recipe from this site that I have tried and both have been fantastic! I can’t wait to try more!

10. Rebecca says

Hi there!

I’m still trying to bake that perfectly fluffy and moist cupcake and your pictures look pretty spot on! I was wondering if you had a recipe for a normal 12-24 cupcake batch? I saw another red velvet recipe on your blog but wasn’t sure if it was the same. Thanks!

11. Sharon says

Can I multiply this recipe? I’m in awe of the work that goes into a great recipe! I’m fascinated by the chemical changes that occur by simply switching up a seemingly simple ingredient change. I’m still learning obviously but I just found your blog & I already have several recipes I’m dying to try! Thanks for your hard work!