It’s no secret I love celebrating Cinco de Mayo around here. Since my blog first started not a year has gone by without a festive treat or two. Mexican food and flavors are by far my favorite so I never seem to struggle with ideas that fit the bill. Between Strawberry Margarita Cupcakes, Traditional Tres Leches Cake and Limey Margarita Bars, I have your festive dessert needs covered. That being said, I’m always a girl who likes options and I couldn’t let a year go by without giving a couple more for your fiesta.
These Churro Cupcakes are a guaranteed crowd pleaser. A fluffy vanilla cupcake is topped with cinnamon sugar, a smooth cream cheese vanilla frosting, more cinnamon sugar, and a mini little “churro” just to be adorable. (Which is really just a piece of pie crust coated in cinnamon sugar. I’ve seen versions topped with fried tortillas too.) I served them to a group of friends earlier this week and they were polished off almost instantly. I think these would be the perfect dessert for a festive dinner, or really any time you want something full of cinnamon-sugary goodness.
- 1 batch Perfect Vanilla Cupcakes (both the cupcakes and the frosting,)
- 4 tablespoons of butter, cold
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together the sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- While the cupcakes are baking, combine the "mini churro" ingredients in a food processor for 1-2 minutes or until a ball is formed. Roll dough out on a floured surface to ⅛ inch thick. Cut into strips, ½ inch wide and cut 2 inch-long pieces out on a diagonal angle. Twist the dough pieces and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Bake at 375F for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- When they have cooled, gently toss them in the cinnamon sugar mixture until well-coated. return to the cookie sheet until ready to use.
- When the baked cupcakes have cooled, dip the top of each one into the cinnamon/sugar mixture- giving each a light coating.
- Pipe or spread the frosting onto the cupcakes and dust with cinnamon sugar. Top each cupcake with a "churro." Enjoy!