Sugar and spice and everything nice- that’s what these cookies are made of. It’s true. Soft pillowy Brown Sugar Spice Cookies that have crisp edges and chewy centers,are topped with creamy brown sugar frosting and a dash of spice. They are truly autumn cookie perfection. I love cookies like this, because what would otherwise be a plain jane brown cookie (albiet a delicious one,) is instantly made to look like something fancy with the pillowy swirled frosting.
These cookies seem perfect for the (promise of,) cooler weather to come, and will last all through the holidays where a spiced cookie just hits the spot. If you haven’t noticed- I really have a thing for the cooking frosting combo, I think it just makes an otherwise simple cookie so beautiful and special. I hope you think so too!
PS- Posting my final Sling Diaries entry tomorrow morning and it’s a good one- I promise you don’t want to miss it!!!
- For the Cookies:
- 1 and ⅔ cup unsalted butter- softened.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch of cloves
- 1½ sticks butter, softened (3/4 cup)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cinnamon & nutmeg for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prep cookie sheets with parchment or a Sil-pat. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, and sugars. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and spices, and stir into the creamed mixture until dough comes together. Roll dough into 1½ inch balls and place them on the cookie sheet 2- inches apart. Gently press the dough balls with your finger tips just slightly.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden. Allow to cool on a wire rack and repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar on high until smooth, creamy, and airy. Add the powdered sugar- a little at a time and mix until smooth. Add the vanilla extract and continue to beat until whipped and creamy.
- Use an off-set spatula or spoon to frost the cooled cookies. Sprinkle with spices.