Just because I told you I was done with the summer fruit recipes doesn’t mean I hadn’t already made these bars. Because I did. I made these last week and ate almost all of them myself because they are that good. I ate one with coffee every morning, and warmed one up with ice cream for a late night snack. The fruity filling in these bars is both sweet and tart and the buttery oatmeal crust tastes just healthy enough that I didn’t feel too guilty. (Let’s ignore the butter OK?)
These bars are very easy to throw together, (especially when you peel your fruit in front of the TV while watching re-runs of “The Office.”) Once that step is done, the rest is simple and in an hour they’ll be out of the oven and your home will smell amazing. I absolutely scorched my tongue eating a piece way too soon. I just couldn’t wait. :) And yes- this is the same recipe I used for the Strawberry Rhubarb Bars. You gotta stick with what works!
Note: These are best when eaten soon after baking. More than a day or so and they tend to get soggy!
Peach-Plum Oatmeal Crumb Bars
- 5 cups peeled, chopped peaches and plums (about 3 peaches and 3 plums depending on the size)
- 5 tsp. cornstarch
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups uncooked quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Combine peaches, plums, corn starch, lemon juice, and spices into a medium sized bowl and toss to combine well. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Combine all crust ingredients in large bowl. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (I always find it easiest to just get my hands dirty to mix in the butter well.) Reserve 1½ cups crumb mixture. Press remaining crumb mixture onto bottom of greased 13x9-inch baking pan. Spread filling over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely. (Or don't and burn your tongue like me :) )