Easter is coming, and all I can think about is brunch food. I wish I could host an elaborate brunch feast and make all the brunch-y Easter-y dishes I have been dreaming up. I don’t really have room for that, but if you do- I think these muffins would be great on your spread.
My goal for baking this morning was to make something that only required me to get one ingredient from the store. Other than the apples, I had everything in my pantry and you probably do too. (You may actually have everything!) I also wanted something super fast and easy and these are that as well.
Chunks of tart apple are combined with the crunchy cinnamon sugar crumble on top. The two elements together almost remind me of an fall apple crisp. These are perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee, for an afternoon snack, or even a (not too sweet) dessert. From begining to end these were so easy, that I may just have to whip up another batch for Easter Sunday. (Even if I don’t get to host my dream brunch.)
|Before baking: sprinkle crumble evenly right over the batter|
|I was worried I had filled them too high- but these were perfect! And my apartment still smells good.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1¼ teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped apples
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar and eggs until smooth. Mix in vanilla. Stir in apples, and gradually blend in the flour mixture. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan.
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture is like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over tops of mixture in muffin pan.
- Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Allow to sit 5 minutes before removing muffins from pan. Cool on a wire rack.