Double Chocolate "Football" Cupcakes

Double Chocolate "Football" Cupcakes via The Baker Chick

For being a very girly girl, I actually really love football. Folks from Wisconsin take their Green Bay Packers seriously and I am no exception. After our Super Bowl victory this year, I have been counting down the days until I could wear my jersey and cheer loudly at my television.

The moment I saw this brilliant idea for football cupcakes I knew it was only a matter of time before I would invite all my friends over so I could make them. (I can’t be left alone in the apartment with treats these days.)  I have seen a variety of football-themed cupcakes floating around but these seemed the easiest and cutest to me!

Double Chocolate "Football" Cupcakes via The Baker Chick

I made them using my favorite “One-bowl chocolate Cupcakes” and used a Basic Chocolate Buttercream with the “laces” done with some Vanilla Buttercream. Normally I am much more of a Vanilla than Chocolate gal- but these were so good! I love this cupcake recipe as it always turns out so light and airy- also it only uses one bowl which is always good for non-dishwasher-possesing people like myself. Not only were these cupcakes so festive and cute, but they tasted awesome. Go Packers!!! :)

Double Chocolate "Football" Cupcakes

• 8 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 6 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 16 Tbs. (2 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 6 Tbs. milk, plus more, if needed
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners; set aside.
  2. Sift together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
  3. Add eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla, and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to assure batter is well mixed.
  4. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full.
  5. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed.
  6. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.
  7. For the Frosting:
  8. Have all the ingredients at room temperature.
  9. Put the chocolate in the top pan of a double boiler set over but not touching simmering water in the bottom pan. Stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
  10. In a large bowl combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, the 6 Tbs. milk, the vanilla and salt and beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined, about 1 minute. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes, then reduce the speed to low.
  11. Reserve about a 1/2 cup of the frosting at this point to make the laces
  12. Add the chocolate gradually and beat until combined, then increase the speed to medium and beat for 1 minute more.
  13. If the frosting is dry, add more milk, 1 tsp. at a time, until it is creamy but still holds peaks.
  14. To Decorate:
  15. Using a small star tip in a pastry bag, zig-zag the chocolate frosting in a diamond shape on the cooled cupcakes. Then put the reserved vanilla frosting into a bag with a small round tip and pipe on the laces.

Cupcakes: Martha Stewart
Frosting: Williams Sonoma
Concept found here
 Double Chocolate "Football" Cupcakes via The Baker Chick  Double Chocolate "Football" Cupcakes via The Baker Chick  Double Chocolate "Football" Cupcakes via The Baker Chick

Whoa-these gems may get to be a little distracting from watching the NFL games! If your friends are indulging in these chocoholic goodies and miss the winning touch down-all I can say is run away as fast as you can! Great post.

Oh my goodness, these are so adorable. I used to watch football all the time. Haven’t in quite some time though. This would be the perfect addition to any game party.

These look so cute I will totally have to make them. I love football season and watch more than my fair share of games on the tv some times I am worse than my husband!

4. Laura says

I just followed your recipe for these football cupcakes and made them for my 2 yr old sons football birthday party and they came out great! They tasted yummy and also was so easy to make. Thank you Thank you. I am going to check out your other recipes as I am sure they must be equally good.

5. hjhargett says

Did the 2 sticks butter make the frosting too runny? It may be where I live but I always have to cut my butter in half or I end up having to add double the amount of powdered sugar.

I don’t even know the way I ended up here, but I believed this publish was once good. I don’t understand who you are however certainly you
    are going to a famous blogger for those who aren’t already. Cheers! rippln – rippln – rippln mobile

You probably wont be the only player using this tactic either so you’ll need to find good areas with little competition
    to stay ahead of the pack. A year of marketing that also engages their audience.
    Although the buzz has died down a little the demand in game is still huge and players
    are still meeting these prices to reach the leveling
    cap and level their professions.

These cupcakes are adorable, I discovered them on pinterst and hope to make them on game day. While exploring your blog I discovered that you are from the Midwest and married in Milwaukee. I spent a great majority of my life in Milwaukee and am actually visiting there as I type this.

Congratulations on your beautiful baby and thank you for creating beautiful recipes and photos.

1. […] DIPS:   Bacon Cheddar Cheese Dip Bacon Ranch Dip Super Simple Sweet Potato Dip Bacon Double Cheeseburger Dip Crockpot Queso Dip Easy Creamy Onion Dip Texas Corn Dip Cool & Spicy Cucumber Salsa Skinny 7 Layer Dip Cheesy Refried Bean Dip   APPETIZERS:   Empanadas Mini Pies Pulled Pork Mini Sliders Skinny Baked Mozzarella Sticks Mini Loaded Potato Footballs Bacon Wrapped Lil Smokies Ham & Cheese Sliders Stuffed Potato Skins Sausage & Pepperoni Pizza Puffs Chicken Taco Cups Football Deviled Eggs   DESSERTS:   Chocolate Covered Strawberry Footballs Football Whoopie Pies Browned Buttered Blondies Football Rice Krispie Treats Double Chocolate Football Cupcakes […]