I know that Cookies & Cream Cupcakes may not fit in with the current trend of peppermint-gingerbread-eggnog filled treats, but I just can’t resist the chance to share a delicious cupcake recipe with you- regardless of the time of year! And as far as I’m concerned, the cookies & cream flavor combo is one that is pretty delicious and acceptable all year round right?
This recipe starts with my favorite one-bowl chocolate cupcake, (which you really must try if you haven’t already.) A buttercream frosting that is full of chopped up Oreos is used as both a filling and a frosting and I couldn’t resist the cute as can be mini Oreo on top. I tried to go relatively light on the frosting so that they didn’t seem over-sweet, and I think the ratio was perfect. A bite of this cupcake really tastes like the classic ice cream flavor that I love so much. For a holiday twist- try them with the peppermint oreos- I think that would be delicious as well!
PS- My month of December is full of exciting recipe plans, but do you guys have any requests? Any holiday favorites that you are dying to try? I have my own cookie-making routines, but I want to know yours too!
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup warm water
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 sticks of butter softened (1 cup)
- 4½-6 cups powdered sugar
- 1-3 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- 1 cup finely chopped Oreo crumbs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners; set aside.
- Sift together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
- Add eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla, and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to assure batter is well mixed.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each ⅔ full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.
- Cream the butter until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until thick and paste-like.
- Add milk or cream a tablespoon at a time until light and creamy. Mix in Vanilla and Oreo crumbs. Use as filling or frosting as desired!
Cupcake Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
Frosting Recipe- The Baker Chick