Chewy Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chewy Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies via The Baker Chick

Once I started my blog, and pretty much had a running stock of treats lingering in my apartment I made a vow to stop buying desserts when out and about in the city. You see, I used to be that girl that would seek out every new bakery and spend my days walking around the city with a cupcake/cookie/brownie from here or there. I’m not saying that I never eat treats when I’m out, but eating my own sweet creations at home seems to satisfy my sweet tooth for now.

Anyway, back in my pre-blog days, I had a mild obsession with the Lemon White Chocolate Chip cookie from Whole Foods. I’d find excuses to end up in Union Square only to peek in and see if they had any of these delicious cookies left. They were just so wonderfully chewy and lemony and perfect. I’d tuck it away in my already heavy bag and take little nibbles throughout the day. I’ve been dreaming about this cookie for weeks and I have to say that I’ve finally found a recipe that is as good or even better!

Chewy Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies via The Baker Chick

Like other drop cookies these are easy as can be and are made and out of the oven in 20 minutes. They are both sweet and a teeny bit tart and so soft and chewy in the center. Now that I have this recipe I can’t wait to make them again and again. (Maybe next time with some macadamia nuts tossed in?)

Chewy Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yield: about 2 dozen cookies

• 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 cups white chocolate chips
  • zest from one lemon

1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
  2. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
  3. Beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl until creamy.
  4. Beat in egg and lemon juice; gradually beat in flour mixture.
  5. Stir in white chocolate chips and lemon zest.
  6. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto parchment-lined baking sheets.
  7. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
  8. Cool on baking sheets for 3 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Recipe adapted from: Nestle

Chewy Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies via The Baker Chick  Chewy Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies via The Baker Chick  Chewy Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies via The Baker Chick

1. Annie @Annie's City Kitchen says

I’m so obsessed with macadamia nuts. They sound like they’d be so perfect in these. Pinning this recipe :)

2. Triciapaoluccio says

im never drawn to white chocolate but these look amazing, esp with macadamia nuts…have you incorporated the crazy long butter/sugar/egg mixing process from milk bar into your other cookies audra?

Hi Tricia!
    Truthfully I’m not normally a white chocolate person either, but paired with lemon here it’s a pretty amazing combo.

I haven’t tried that process with other recipes because I think the high amounts of fat in Milk Bar Cookies are part of the reason it’s necessary…anyway if you do let me know! :)

4. Tracey says

I’ve never had this cookie from Whole Foods (I’m usually pretty good about avoiding sweets when I’m out since there are always a ton at home…) but I adore the idea for the flavor combo. I’m such a white chocolate junkie!

5. Annie Standing says

Oh yum! Never tried lemon and white chocolate before, I love them both separately so sure I would love these! Need to make them soon :)

6. katie says

OMG these sound so good!!! i can’t wait to try them.
    quick question though – how big are they? are they really big, or is this just a small recipe? (i’m just wondering cuz a dozen doesnt seem like very many cookies, around here they’ll be gone in a single night if they’re small/normal-sized cookies!)

7. Anne-Marie says

Delicious! Turned out great. I added another tbsp and a half of lemon juice (almost the juice of one lemon) and it was delicious,

8. Edie says

I just had a lemon white chocolate chip cookie from Bruchi’s (the best cheesesteak place in Washington State). I immediately began searching for a recipe since I love to bake, and lucked into finding not just this recipe, but your blog! :) Lots of recipes on here I have to try. I’ll keep you posted on how they turn out!

9. Ashley says

I’ve made these twice now and they’re amazing! One thing I reccomend changing however is the amount of butter. I used the full 1 1/2 sticks the first time and thought it was too much, so I only used 1 stick the second time and they were perfect! They didn’t flatten out as much and were still chewy :-) Oh, and a touch of vanilla is divine as well!

10. Heather says

I just made these and they only made 2 dozen using a small butter scoop. I also don’t think they taste very good. They seem really doughy even though I left them in for 10 minutes. Oh well….I’ll continue my search for the best white chocolate lemon cookie to satisfy my craving after having one at the farmer’s market! Maybe if there was vanilla in the recipe……I don’t know they just don’t hold up very well, so the texture needs some tweaking as well.

Sorry about that Heather. I actually think I made an error in the quantity of these- thanks for pointing it out.

I adore these cookies though- so sorry they didn’t turn out well for you. All ovens are different so you may have needed to bake yours longer than mine.

11. Selena says

Making these again for the second time. They are delicious, a whole party full of people thougt so. Thanks for posting this recipe. Love it!

12. stephanie says

I was looking around the Internet for a recipe that will get rid of my leftover white chocolate chips and this recipe sounded delicious! So I followed the recipe to the T and when I put the first batch in the oven, the oven started smoking no more than 2 min that the cookies were in! I had my reservations about a few things and I should have listened to my instincts. First off 375°F is waayyy to high! It works with 325°F. Also, all I tasted was the butter there’s way too much. A previous comment mentioned 1 stick is enough and I agree. I don’t think I would be so frustrated if Ihhadn’t been forced to call the repairman to figure out what was wrong with my stove, just to later find out that the temperature was too high. I’m not trying to put you down, other than those issues the recipe is great. Thank you

13. Sandra G says

Don’t listen to any negative comments. These cookies are heavenly perfection and I’m addicted! They even freeze perfectly after baking in ziplocks to eat later. High temperature worked perfect for me but I didn’t get 3 dozen, I must have made mine larger. Thank you for posting!

Hey Sandra! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I noted 3 dozen but you’re not the first to comment on the quantity being off so I’m going to change it :)

14. Karen H says

Light or dark brown sugar? Thanks for the recipe. I had chewy lemon white-chocolate cookies recently and can’t get them out of my mind. Looking forward to trying your recipe.

15. PERI says

The Lemon white chocolate cookies are my favorite from Whole Foods and I can’t help but eat them in the store.Then I’ll have to explain to the cashier for the empty cookie bag.
    I’ve search for the right receipt for some time and thank you for posting.