I love mini things. They are just so darn cute you know? It’s not just food items though- as proven by my real addiction to baby clothes. (Someone help me please!) I just find that everything is better in teeny portions, and mini layer cakes are no exception. These are made by cutting rounds out of a cake with biscuit cutter and layering them just like you would a regular cake. Pretty sweet huh? I think they are perfect for giving someone their own personal cake- or for special dessert spreads for parties.
Speaking of parties, I think these would be exceptionally sweet at a baby shower- don’t you? I figured mini layered cakes would be adorable on a baby shower dessert spread and since a few blog friends and I are throwing a *surprise* virtual baby shower for our friend Stephanie who writes the fabulous blog Girl Vs. Dough. I thought these cakes would be perfect. Steph is expecting a little baby girl any day now, and I just can’t wait for her to join the throws of Mommyhood. We met last summer when I was pregnant and Steph was hoping to be. I will not-so-secretly imagine these little beauties on a real life dessert spread for this special gal’s baby shower.
My favorite part of this fluffy vanilla bean cake is that you can actually bake the cake, stamp the rounds out, and freeze them until you’re ready to use. It’s the perfect way to make sure you have the means to whip up a quick personal-sized cake for someone special at a moment’s notice. This is my favorite fluffy white cake and it would be good with almost any frosting- chocolate, cream cheese, vanilla etc. Everything is cuter (and maybe more delicious,) when it’s mini- I promise!
- 1½ cup white sugar
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract (or a combo of extract, vanilla bean paste or vanilla bean)
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cup whole milk
- ¾ cups butter, softened (1½ sticks)
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- splash of milk
- 4 strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a jelly-roll pan with butter. (or spray.) Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and beat on high speed for about 3 minutes, until fluffy and pale. Stir in the vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt, and add to the butter mixture in three batches, alternating with the milk, starting and ended with the flour mixture. Don't over-beat the batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan evenly, smoothing with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes in the preheated oven or until golden. Let cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Whip butter on high speed until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and continue to beat until smooth. Add the vanilla and milk, and beat until creamy and good spreading consistency.
- Use a round cookie or biscuit cutter to stamp out rounds of the cooled cake. Spread each layer with frosting, add sliced strawberries and then add another layer and repeat. After adding a thin layer of frosting to the whole cake, chill in the freezer before adding an thicker layer of frosting.
Cake recipe adapted from: All Recipes
These lovely ladies are also in on the special virtual shower for Steph. Check out their posts below!
Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake with Lemon Drizzle from Greens & Chocolate
Super Chewy M&M Blondies from The Realistic Nutritionist
Strawberry Cinnamon Twist Knots from A Kitchen Addiction
Lemon Shortbread with Salted Chocolate Drizzle from The Lemon Bowl
Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream from A Zesty Bite
Blackberry and Mango Curd Pie from Joanne Eats Well With Others
Pecan Sticky Buns from Warm Vanilla Sugar
Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins from Garnish with Lemon
Chocolate Chip Pancakes from Susie Freaking Homemaker
Super Simple Sugar Cookies from Espresso and Cream
Raspberry Acai Frozen Margarita from Nutmeg Nanny
Berry Coconut Frozen Yogurt from The Law Student’s Wife
Pretty in Pink Buttercream Cups from Keep it Sweet Desserts
Broccoli Salad with Honey Toasted Walnuts from The Roasted Root
Neapolitan Baked Doughnuts from Climbing Grier Mountain
Giant Pink M&M and Raisinette Cookies from Steph’s Bite by Bite
No-Bake Rhubarb Cheesecake Parfait Cups from Hungry Girl Por Vida
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp from A Cedar Spoon
Freckled Strawberry Rhubarb Lemonade from Take a Megabite
Vanilla Anise Cupcakes from Blahnik Baker
Mini Blackberry Hazelnut Meringue Cakes from Eat Your Heart Out