I just realized it has been months and months since I have posted a cupcake recipe. What’s up with that? Are cupcakes “out” you guys? I feel like when I first started this blog they were all the rage, are they being replaced with say, Pies? I mean that would be fine with me too I suppose as you know I adore pies and pie making, but there is something about a perfectly portioned cupcake that I will never get over. The flavor combos, frosting, decoration options- I love it all. As far as I’m concerned, they will always be in so there!
This particular cupcake is just all fall. The cupcakes themselves are full of fresh apple cider, a flavor that really comes through with every bite- giving them a warm, comforting, fruity taste. The cake reminds me of the apple cider donuts I so enjoy at the apple orchard, which makes them even more perfect.
On another note- say a little prayer for my beloved camera. In case you were wondering- do NOT let a toddler sippy cup anywhere near (and I mean anywhere near,) something valuable. Because no matter how “leak proof” it may be, it will undoubtedly leak and ruin your camera and lens and send them to the camera emergency room. I get the diagnosis of both later today so wish me luck. I had a few recipes to shoot last week that I had to postpone because of the no camera dilemma, but luckily I was able to borrow one for this post!
Have a wonderful week! Enjoy these seasonal and festive cupcakes!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup fresh apple cider
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, softened (8 tablespoons)
- 8 oz of cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cinnamon and nutmeg for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cupcake tin with liners- set aside.
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time and the vanilla extract, mixing until smooth, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- In another bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon & nutmeg. Add about 1/3 of the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, mixing on low until just combined.
- Add about half of the apple cider and continue mixing on low. Add another 1/3 of the dry ingredients, the rest of the cider, and finally the last of the dry. Continue to mix on low until just combined, and use a spatula to do the final mix/scraping to ensure you don't over mix the batter.
- Divide batter equally amongst the cupcake wells, about 3/4 of the way full
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool on a wire rack before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing well between each addition. Add the apple cider and vanilla, mixing on high until super smooth and creamy.
- Spread or pipe frosting on cupcakes however you like and sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.
Recipe adapted from Eat Live Run
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g