Apple Pie Ice Cream
September is such a weird food month for me. At least where I live, it still feels like summer out, and yet my mind is already thinking about cozy sweaters and crisp weather. I want pumpkin and cocoa and wool socks with boots, but I’m still wearing shorts and sandals. You feel me? I know it will be winter before I know it and I’ll be angry at myself for ever wishing away this Indian Summer, but at the same time I kinda am. Maybe it’s because this is our first fall in the new house, and I’m so excited for things like decorating the porch with fall goodies, carving pumpkins I can actually display on our stoop, and having a car so we can drive to apple picking or a pumpkin patch. (In case you were wondering if I love suburban life the answer is yes!)
This ice cream is the perfect transitional dessert from summer to fall. The ice cream is a creamy cinnamon custard, with chunks of baked, spiced apples, and toasted cookie crust. Getting that bite of all 3 textures/flavors was just to die for. This was one of the creamiest custards I’ve ever made and the mix ins made it even dreamier. Anyway- until actually chilly, brisk, days are upon us, I’ll be enjoying this ice cream….but really is fall here yet?!
Apple Pie Ice Cream
For the Ice Cream:
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the Crumble:
- 8-12 cookies, crushed* (I used vanilla wafers)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- flakey sea salt for sprinkling
For the Apples:
- 2 large apples, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of butter
For the custard:
- Whisk together all the custard ingredients in a medium sized saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly until mixture coats the back of your spoon.
- Allow to cool and then chill thoroughly in the fridge overnight. Meanwhile make the mix-ins!
For the crumble:
- Toss the cookie crumbs with the butter and toast at 375F for 10 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with the sea salt and let cool.
For the apples:
- Toss the apples with the cinnamon and cook with the remaining butter until soft.
- When the ice cream is chilled, churn according to your maker's instructions. Layer in your container with the cookie crumbs and apples. Eat right away or freeze for a few hours to firm up.
Recipe adapted from All Recipes
Oh my!! That crumble on top is awesome! Such a great flavour!
This looks amazing!
I haven’t made ice cream ALL SUMMER. And now it feels like fall in NYC! Pretty sad about that…but I guess it just gives me a good reason to make this. Apple pie sounds like the perfect ice cream flavor!
yassss, this looks incredible! I love apple pie everything but haven’t tried it in ice cream. Congrats on your new house!
This is seriously the best idea ever. Apple pie is my favorite, and of course it needs ice cream. Why not just put them together? :)