Bananas Foster Blondies
I remember the exact day that I discovered bananas foster. It was a few days before I graduated from high school and my family invited my theatre teacher/director over for dinner. I am not sure why, but this was the dessert that my Mom chose to make that night. I helped her sauté the bananas and remember tasting a small spoonful of the sauce and that being the end of it.
What is not to like about bananas foster? Bananas sauteed with brown sugar, rum, butter and cinnamon served over vanilla ice cream. It is truly amazing. It is very popular in the south which I was happy to discover when I was on tour all through the country a few years ago.
I have been thinking about a few different desserts where I could feature these amazing flavors. Bananas Foster Ice Cream…Cupcakes? Bread pudding? All sound amazing (and will probably make their way to my blog eventually,) but these easy Blondies won the other day!
I was thrilled at how much the taste of Bananas Foster really stood out. With every bite you get some of that caramel-banana-sugary goodness that makes the original so good. These are also very easy with a short prep and baking time. The only thing I would have liked more of was rum flavor as most of it baked away. Next time I may try a rum glaze to drizzle on top to add that extra kick. Enjoy!
Bananas Foster Blondies
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- Bananas Foster:
- 2/3 ripe bananas, sliced (about 1 1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 shot of dark spiced rum, I bought one of those mini bottles from the liquor store and used the whole thing.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- For the blondies: In a large bowl combine melted butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Whisk together until combined.
- In a small bowl combine dry ingredients and whisk together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture in two parts, mixing well after each addition.
- Spread batter into a well-greasted 9x13 inch pan and set aside.
- For the bananas foster: In a skillet on medium heat, melt 1/4 cup butter. Add the sugar and stir to combine. Add the sliced bananas and sprinkle with cinnamon. Stir the bananas into the butter mixture until coated. Add rum and let mixture simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let mixture thicken and cool slightly (2/3 minutes.)
- Using a wooden spoon or fork mash bananas until the mixture is relatively smooth with only a few chunks.
- With a spoon, drop banana mixture evenly over the blondie batter. Using a knife, swirl bananas foster mixture into the batter. Bake for 20-25 minutes until edges are golden.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Adapted from: Eat Drink and Be Merry
I normally dont go for blondies but this bananas fosters loveliness might have me change my mind! These look so good!
These look amazing and I love anything with bananas in it. Lucky for me I have spiced rum in the freezer…it’s meant to be.
Bananas foster is amazing, how clever to put it on top of blondies!
Banana foster on blondies… YUMMO!
How creative. Love this idea!
Ohmigoodness! This looks so good :) Well done!
Ohh this sounds so good!!!! I love the recipe and addition of bananas!!!Yummy for sure!
Great idea! I would not have half as much will power as you when it comes to making the sauce. Delish!
In my post on July 29, 2010…IF you want to look at it! I put up a recipe for Overnight French Toast with a bananas foster sauce…it was divine! My mom’s favorite dessert to make for us growing up was bananas foster so it has always held a special place in my heart! And yes…it is VERY popular in the South and I am very grateful that it is!!! Your recipe looks divine!!
blondies are some of my favorite treats, and they are so often overlooked! the bananas foster thing just sent these into orbit. amazing!
I am so honored and thrilled you made my blondies! I LOVE your idea to add a rum glaze! I think that’s wonderful! I agree the rum flavor kind of went away! I love your blog there are so many great recipes here!! I’ll be checking in regularly!
Just the thought of bananas foster blondies tugged at my heart (and tummy) a bit. I love bananas in desserts. Thanks sooo much for sharing, looks and sounds uber delicious. =]
This looks so yummy! I am going to try to make a vegan version of this. Thanks for sharing :)
Olivia- if you make a vegan version please let me know how it goes! Sabrina- I’m so glad that I found your original post on this- a great recipe. Thank you so much for all the kind words everyone1
I made these yesterday and took them to a church activity where they were gobbled up. They were DELICIOUS!!!! Thank you for the recipe!!! :) :)
I love Bananas foster- especially on French Toast!