This post was originally published August 2012. I updated the photos and recipes as of June 2016.
I am constantly on the hunt for a collection of classic recipes I’ll have for ages. You know- the ones that someday will turn into “Mom’s famous recipe for….” A my kids are getting older and Hugo is becoming more involved with helping me bake, cook, and taste test, I love when he says things to his friends like, ” My Mama makes the best cookies ever!” Hopefully that sticks and someday he’ll be requesting these muffins in his college care packages. (wait…time slow down!) When it comes to a perfect blueberry muffin- I found it! These are the only blueberry muffin recipe I’ll ever need and I hope you agree.
In the past, I have struggled with finding a fruit-based muffin that has a thick enough batter for the fruit to not sink to the bottom. I wanted my blueberries to be evenly distributed throughout so you got one with every bite. I also wanted nice round domes with a crumbly topping. These were perfect on all accounts. The berries were so plump and juicy and right there in every single bite. The crumb topping was the perfect touch, adding a bit of crisp texture and a touch of spice from the cinnamon.
With this new update of the recipe, I tried cutting the sugar down and I think these are really wonderful with up to half the original amount. I’ve listed the options in the recipe so you can decide how sweet you want them. 1 cup of sugar yields a very sweet cake-like muffin. 1/2 cup of sugar is just lightly sweet and the perfect balance for me was 3/4 cup. But feel free to experiment with it based on your sweetness preference!
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- large pinch of cinnamon
For the Muffins:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar*
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, room temp
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly grease a muffin tin with cooking spray or vegetable oil, or line with paper muffin liners.
Prepare streusel topping:
- In a small bowl, stir together the melted butter, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Stir until well-combined and crumbly.
For the Muffins:
- In another small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, vanilla and buttermilk.
- Add flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. (Batter will be thick!)
- Sprinkle muffins with streusel topping.
- Bake at 350º for 20 to 25 min, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
*The range of 1/2 cup -1 cup of sugar will work depending on how sweet you want them. For me 3/4 cup was perfect.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g