If I am going to be so masochistic as to turn my oven on when it is most likely 90+ degrees in my kitchen, it better be for something good. I have tried many ways to make summer baking more bearable but I haven’t been so successful. I’ve attempted the whole no-bake route, but sometimes baking is the only option no matter how hot it gets. AmIRight? Especially when you have something on the brain that you know would be delicious. You know how that goes?
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, 2 sticks or 8 ounces
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 4 cups fresh blueberries, 2 small 16 oz cartons
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g