Until recently, I didn’t have much interest in shortbread. It was always the Girl Scout cookie that looked the least fancy so I didn’t ever try it. I didn’t think that something so simple could actually be good- so I went with the chocolate covered, peanut butter, caramel laden cookies instead.
I actually don’t think I tried shortbread until a few years ago when I did a play with a girl from Scotland who brought some on opening night. I couldn’t get over how perfect it was! Melt in your mouth, not too sweet perfect. The cookie has an almost flaky texture with a buttery crumb that makes it that much more irresistible. I’d love to make a batch of these to eat alongside a coffee or tea.
Another reason I love this recipe is how simple it is to make. I can almost guarantee you have all the ingredients on the very short list at home already, which means these can be made in a matter of minutes. You can cut them into any shape you want, sprinkle on a little extra sugar and there you go. These can, of course be dipped into chocolate and sprinkled with things, or even stuffed with frosting or ice cream, but they are so great as is, I’m not sure it’s even necessary!
Oh also- these cookies are being sold as part of a Virtual Bake Sale sponsored by Erin at The Spiffy Cookie. All proceeds go to benefit animals in need so stop on over and made a bid on these or any of the other lovely treats!
- 2 cups butter- softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Using an electric mixer, mix the butter and brown sugar until creamy. Add 3 to 3 3/4 cups flour. Continue to beat with mixers until the dough just comes together.
- Sprinkle counter with the remaining flour. Knead for 5 minutes, adding enough flour to make a soft dough. Roll to 1/2 inch thickness. Using a pastry cutter or knife, cut dough into strips or rectangles. (mine were about 3 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick.) Prick with fork and place on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle tops with sugar.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 15 minutes or until edges are slightly golden.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 4 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Adapted slightly from: AllRecipes