Cherry Amaretto Cheesecake Ice Cream
I’m sorry that my blog has been a little slower lately than normal. It’s because I’ve been busy doing lots of really important and groundbreaking things. I have been totally pre-occupied studying and researching lots of studious baking topics.
Ok. No. Actually I’ve been reading the Hunger Games. Yup- in the last week I obsessively read the entire series. Have you read them? Do you like books you can’t put down? I cried when I finished the last one. For real. Read them if you haven’t.
Anyway- I did have time to whip up this special ice cream. It has actually been in the works for awhile. See, in my hometown of Milwaukee there is an amazing Frozen Custard place called Kopps. Since I was a kid I’d get excited driving by to see the Flavor-of-the-day especially when it was “Turtle Sundae” or “Peach Melba,” my two favorites. And actually…..my first ever job at the age of 14 was behind the counter at Kopps…..(funnily enough the woman that trained me still works there.) Every time Kopps announced their flavor as being Cherry Amaretto Cheesecake my family always got some. I think it was my Mom that claimed it as her favorite, so whoever was nearby would get some of the creamy rich and delicious custard.
This recipe seemed like something I had to try when I made these cupcakes and had a half bottle of amaretto left. And then when I made this cheesecake and found a huge wedge left over waiting to be frozen. Enter cherry season and before I knew it- I was eating my hometown fave over the sink. My sisters tried it and said they liked it even better than the original and I have to agree.
The ice cream consists of a rich custardy Amaretto Ice cream, with a sweet cherry sauce and chunks of cheesecake. I know this recipe is annoying because it requires you to have a wedge of plain cheesecake lying around. But- maybe tuck it in the back of your brain and the next time you’re out for dinner or baking save a slice or two so you can make this amazing concoction. I also think it would be great with brownie chunks if you have those laying around. Cherries could also be subbed for raspberries or peaches or whatever you have. Enjoy!
Note: Last time I posted an Ice Cream recipe that had egg yolks I got some comments about how that seemed like a lot. Trust me – This is a very standard formula for rich french-custardy- ice cream. It doesn’t taste eggy and is SO good.
Cherry Amaretto Cheesecake Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons amaretto
- Cherry Sauce:
- 2 cups fresh cherries pitted and sliced in half
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. water
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tbsp. water
- 1 large piece of cheesecake chopped into chunks, plain or could be flavored if that's what you have.
- Bring cream and milk to simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Whisk yolks, sugar, and corn syrup in large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in hot cream mixture. Return to saucepan; stir over medium-low heat until custard thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 5 minutes (do not boil).
- Strain into medium bowl. Chill until cold. (Really should be overnight for best results in your ice cream maker. ) Whisk in amaretto. Process in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Wash cherries; remove pits. Place in saucepan with sugar water and salt. Cover; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5-8 minutes. Blend cornstarch with water; add to cherries and cook 2-3 minutes or until sauce has thickened and is clear. Cool. (Make this while the Ice cream mixture is chilling and refrigerate until it until the ice cream is frozen.)
- To assemble: One Ice Cream is frozen layer in a container as follows: Ice Cream, cherry sauce, cheesecake pieces.. (Repeat a few times.) Freeze for a few hours before eating. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
This sounds lovely! I love amaretto but don’t find it in many desserts, this ice cream looks scrumptious!
I’m not too big on amaretto flavoring, but I would totally make this without it. I think adding cheesecake and cherry topping to the ice cream sounds amazing!!
Mmmm, fantastic flavour of ice cream. I just did some cheesecake ice cream too, but I actually put some cream cheese in it. Pretty tasty! Yours looks mighty fine too.
That sounds perfect! It is soooo hot out here today…
This recipe is amazing. My daughter read the series. I still have not though.
wish I’d seen this in time for my cheesecake party! i love ice cream and ice cream with amaretto sounds like a dream! :) can’t wait to try sometime!
Oh my Audra – that looks absolutely fabulous. Why do you live so far away from me??????
This sounds so good! And you are right on – perfect amount of eggs! Makes for a smooth, creamy and rich custard!
Wow! What gorgeous ice cream…love this yummy flavor!
It’s okay, I know lots of people who get lost in those books! This ice cream totally makes up for it! The flavor reminds me of a flavor from my hometown ice cream company! Delicious!
Okay – cherry…amaretto…CHEESECAKE? Oh, my! This is incredible! I agree, the egg yolks are not excessive – it makes for a lovely ice-cream!
I have been really busy and missed your post:( Wonderful recipe, very pretty, and refreshing! I love the color! congrats on top 9!
AHHH I am melting reading this post. I want this ice cream now!
Yum… the only reason I need to head out and buy that coveted ice cream maker. Looks sensational!
Congrats on your top 9.
I haven’t read them but have heard amazing things. I think they’re even being made into a movie. On another note, this ice cream looks delicious :)
I may go out and buy a slice of cheesecake from somewhere just to make this. But it would totally be worth it to bake one fresh too. Ahhh I want it!
This looks sooooooooo goooodddd! Wowers!!!
You had me at Amaretto Icecream……
Mmmm I’m going to have to try this! I’m fairly confident (and heartbroken) they retired this flavor. :( My all time favorite.
Really? Boo! It was my all time fave too.
Just checked the Kopps flavor forecast and cherry amaretto cheesecake is scheduled for the 30th of July. So wisconsinites rejoice it is alive and well.