Chocolate "Rose" Cupcakes
Ok- confession: I totally watch The Bachelor. I have been for a couple years now and I love it in that “this show is so awful that I actually find it entertatining” sort of way. Last Monday my dear friend Natalie was in town and came over to my sister Nadia’s for a little viewing party. Nat is known for the hillarious Bachelor commetaries she writes on her blog, and we were in near hysterics the whole time. I seriously wish we could all watch together every week!
For the occasion (and since these are perfect for V-day,) I thought I’d make some “rose” cupcakes. I dorkily asked all the girls if they would “please accept this rose,” and they of course accepted. (Maybe I gave myself two roses so what?)
For these cupcakes I used my favorite One-bowl chocolate cupcake and vanilla bean buttercream. I only had a couple hours to whip these up so I wanted something easy. To pipe on the roses, I used a Large #1 Wilton star tip and starting in the center of the cupcake- piped in a circular motion until I got my pretty pink rose. It really takes about 5 seconds and looks so pretty! Everyone was very impressed with my “roses” (which I guess are techinally called rosettes.) Either way- they sure make for a sweet love-inspired treat.
PS- I am calling now that Ben is going to choose the annoying model in the end. I hate her but I think he’s just that dumb. :)
Chocolate "Rose" Cupcakes
Yield: 18 -24 cupcakes
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil, canola is also fine
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 sticks of butter softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla bean paste or a vanilla bean split length wise, lately I'm all about the paste though- so easy.
- 2-6 tablespoons of milk or cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners; set aside. Sift together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Add eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla, and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to assure batter is well mixed.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.
- Beat Butter and scraped out vanilla bean with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, (about 3 minutes.) Add the powdered sugar and beat well until mixture is thick and almost paste like. Add extract and 1 tablespoon of milk/cream. Beat well. Slowly add more milk 1 spoon at a time if you think your frosting is too thick or dry. Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Cupcake Recipe from Martha Stewart
These are beautiful!
cutie cupcakes! The recipe sounds delicious! Please visit my updated blog
Very pretty! I have always loved rose water in baked goods, so theis seems like the perfect valentine’s treat!
I am still working on my simple swirl, so you are way ahead of me with the rose swirl. However you swirl it, I know these cakes are a delicious treat. Your friends are very lucky to have been the recipients of these gems-yum!
Ohhh.how pretty… It’s very nice to meet you. Love you blog :)
Gorgeous pink color, Audra. Perfect for Valentine’s day!
These cupcakes are gorgeous… and they would be delicious, too!
Great looking cupcakes.
Wow – they look just like a rose! Impressive
I’m totally addicted to the bachelor! My hubby hates Mondays ;-) And these look so wonderful! Your rose is perfect!
Absolutely gorgeous! Those cupcakes are just picture perfect… and I can imagine how good they must taste! Thanks for sharing :)
Beautiful piping work!
fabolous and pretty… I bet the taste is delicious too
The roses are so perfect, and I like the pink color you got,
These are so awesome and so beautiful!
These are BEAUTIFUL!!!! I would pay top money for these cupcakes. Gorgeous work, as always!
I totally watch the Bachelor too! Haha. Beautiful cupcakes!!
Beautiful! I don’t watch the Bachelor, but that is only because hubby is around, and I can’t! I supposed I could DVR it for later, but I am not sure I want to put up with the ridicule!
Beautiful and very apt for the impending Valentine’s day. I made something similar on my blog. I’m a novice though, only been baking for a max of 3 months. I’m also a single momma to 3 little girls and mobility disabled. Take a peek if you like.
I love your blog and the design, photos, etc. Looks great. Ima following. :)
Great cupcakes! I’m going to have to make them for “The Bachelor” finale! And I agree, Ben is probably going to end up with that model.
Beautiful. I will totally accept that rose, please and thank you very much.
Hi!!! I’ve just discovered your blog, but already totally in love with it!! Please, do a tutorial on these roses, since you now have a youtube channel also!!!
Love from italy,
Now i am highly pleased along with your composing talents together with with the format on your blog page. Is it your settled theme or even have you customize it all by yourself? Either way stay on the great good quality publishing, it is uncommon to see a pleasant weblog such as this one now.