Egg Nog Cupcakes with Bourbon Caramel
Are you in the “like eggnog” camp or the “egg nog is gross” camp? I know it’s pretty divided amongst folks- but I’m happy to say that I absolutely adore it. I don’t know what it is that makes it taste like a Holiday milkshake, but that’s exactly how it tastes. Thick, creamy, spicy and one of those sensory-recall things that automatically make me think of Christmas. You know what I’m talking about? Sometimes a smell or taste just brings you back to a certain moment in life….happens to me all the time….especially with smells line pine needles and nutmeg and gingerbread. Mmmm.
These cupcakes were divine. I mean there is not much I like more than egg nog with a splash of bourbon in it (or whiskey or rum,) and since I am obviously obsessed with caramel, what could be better than a combination of all three? The eggnog flavor in these cupcakes is subtle, but present enough that you’d know what it was if you tried it. And I must point out that these were pretty darn easy to make. I had these baked, filled, frosted and photographed in under two hours. Not bad huh?
Also- I got some engagement pictures taken over the weekend by my talented sister Nadia. Here is a sneak preview of a few of my favorites. :)
Egg Nog Cupcakes with Bourbon Caramel
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup dark rum or bourbon, optional
- 1 cup eggnog
- ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- For Caramel:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 tablespoons butter cut into small pieces
- 3/8 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 cup bourbon
- For Frosting:
- 2 sticks of butter
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons egg nog
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of salt
To make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350? F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; whisk to combine. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the rum, eggnog, vegetable oil, vinegar, and sugar. Beat on medium-low speed until well blended. Add in the dry ingredients and mix on low speed just until incorporated.
- Divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners, filling the cups 2/3 full. Bake 22-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whisk together the sugar and water in a medium saucepan and whisk over high heat until sugar is dissolved. Don't stir the mixture but gently swirl the pan until it has reached a dark brown amber color. At that point whisk in the butter. (Careful- it will bubble up- don't burn yourself.) Remove from the heat and whisk in the cream and bourbon. Allow caramel to cool in the fridge before filling/drizzling.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the softened butter until it is creamy and pale. Gradually add the powdered sugar until thick and creamy. Add the egg nog one tablespoon at a time until the texture seems right. Add the nutmeg and salt and beat for another minute or so.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, scoop a tablespoon-size amount out of each one with a small spoon or paring knife. Fill with caramel, pipe on frosting and drizzle with remaining caramel. Sprinkle with a dash of nutmeg and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Cupcake Recipe adapted from: Annie’s Eats
Engagement Pics taken by Nadia Quinn: www.wahhabphotography.com
I posted about Eggnog Donuts with an Eggnog Rum Glaze yesterday…Great minds have eggnog and booze and dessert on the brain, eh?
Yours look wonderful! Would love to try them!
Love the cupcakes and love the photos!! Congrats girly! :)
I’m on the love egg nog side, as long as it’s cooked! *Ick* Raw eggs?? No thanks!
Congrats on the engagement! I love the third picture; simply cute!
Oh man, these look amazing! Look at that gooey center :) I am definitely in the love eggnog camp, and I didn’t even know what it was until I turned 19 and visited the States.
Gorgeous pictures, again, congratulations!
Your photos look amazing! I really love the first one.
I love your photos! Almost as much as those cupcakes. ;)
Seriously – that photographer has a great eye and you guys are adorable together!
Those cupcakes look sooooo good and the engagement photos are beautiful!!
Your pics came out great! I love the balloon one and the one with the and sign. So cute I almost forgot about the sexy looking cupcakes too. YUM!
Beautiful photos :) congratulations on your engagement!!!! As for this recipe, I’ll save it in case we have leftover eggnog after the Christmas party. My husband and I love eggnog, and we both love frosted cupcakes. Thanks for sharing your photos and this recipe!
These cupcakes rock my world. And that last photo you posted? Adorable!
The engagement pictures are adorable. Wishing you oodles of happiness. The cupcakes are looking pretty fantastic too, I’m on the fence with eggnog, but would gladly down a couple of these cupcakes.
mmm the cupcakes look delish! i haven’t tried eggnog-y desserts but it seems i totally should! also, your engagement pictures are adorable! the lighting is wonderful & you look beautiful! :)
The cupcakes look amazing and I love the blend of flavors. Definitely a winner. Your pictures are fantastic, a great reflection of a very happy and well matched couple. Great post!
I’m definitely in the love eggnog half of your readers…I had my first taste this weekend and now can’t get it out of my head!! These look amazing. Adorable pics too – hope you share some more!
Gorgeous photos, Audra! We’re having ours taken in a few weeks. How exciting.The cupcakes are amazing, too… Finally someone who shares my love for egg nog!
Yay! Can’t wait to see yours!
Thanks so much! I’ll post some more next week :)
Thanks Tina! I am pretty darn happy :)
Thanks Lady! Yeah, I’m a big fan of eggnog desserts. And everything egg-nog!!
Thanks Sandra! I understand about the eggnog thing- but it’s not too strong in these cupcakes!
Thanks so much Katrina!
Thanks so much! Yes if you love eggnog and cupcakes these will be your new favorite thing!
Thanks Linds! I gathered some great ideas on Pintrest!
Thanks Ann! I give my sister and pintrest all the credit!
Thanks so much!
Thanks Laura! Yes- I’m so lucky to have a sister who is so great with her camera!
Thanks darlin! I’m pretty happy with how they turned out :)
Yeah me too! I didn’t know about it until college and now I’m obsessed! I plan to make at least 2 more eggnog treats before Xmas!
Thanks a lot! I can thank Anthropolgie for the cute “&” sign!
Thanks Katie- and yes- cooked eggs are a must! :)
Ooh! I have to check those donuts out! Sound amazing!
Your hair looks awesome in those pictures!
Oh… and the cupcakes look good too.
You are gorgeous! What a beautiful couple… oh, and those cupcakes, I mean, come on… they are almost as gorgeous as you.
Okay, you can’t put something as adorable as your engagement pictures and as amazing as egg nog cupcakes in the same post. It makes it too hard to decide what to tell you I love the most. Love supercedes everything though and those engagement pics are AMAZING. You lucky girl. Congrats!
Your engagement pics are so darn cute! I love them! And as for these cupcakes… I could devour them all! YUM!
Wow these look absolutely delicious. And your pictures are gorgeous! Congrats!
when i made these, about fifteen minuets in my cupcakes callapsed. Can you tell me waht i did wrong?
Hey Kaylee- Sorry that your cupcakes flopped. I unfortunately can’t pin point what went wrong since I wasn’t there- it could have been a problem with ingredients or possible your oven temperature.
thank you! and dont worry about the cupcakes i just changed the cupcake into a vanilla recipe and used the frosting. : )