What is it about an extra special breakfast that just makes the whole morning so much better? It’s not too often that all three of us get up at the same time, (usually either Andy and I take turns with the early shift and let the other sleep in,) but when we do I get so excited about making a big breakfast we can all eat together. Something a bit more complicated than the normal cereal or toast, something that warrants us forgoing our normal habit of eating in the living room and actually setting the table and sitting all together. I really love it, and these pancakes were the best excuse for our family breakfast last weekend.
Even though citrus is considered a seasonal winter flavor, something about the brightness of lemon just feels so right for summer. These ultra fluffy pancakes with their lemony tang are the perfect summery breakfast. The batter is so light and fluffy as a result of whipping meringue and folding it into the batter. The ricotta cheese adds a subtle richness and almost creamy texture to the finished product- it practically melts in your mouth!
On top of these perfect pancakes is a super quick fresh blueberry sauce that takes no time at all but really makes the dish. The berries are so juicy and the thick sauce acts like a syrup- giving some bright berry flavor with a little zing. I can see these becoming a regular part of our summer breakfast tradition!
This post is sponsored by Clabber Girl Baking Powder. My thoughts and opinions are always 100% my own.
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs separated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Blueberry Sauce:
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup water
- juice of a lemon
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon of corn starch dissolved in 2 tablespoons of water.
- zest of 1 lemon
First make the sauce:
- In a small saucepan combine the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, and water. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring gently until boiling.
- Add the cornstarch/water mixture and without breaking the berries- carefully stir it in. Cook for 2-3 minutes over low heat, stirring until sauce is thick. Fold in lemon zest.
For the pancakes:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, ricotta, milk, lemon juice and zest. Sprinkle the baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and flour over the ricotta mixture and gently fold in.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter and then add the rest, gently folding until smooth and airy.
- Spoon a little less than 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake onto a hot skillet or griddle (either use nonstick or add spray or butter before each batch.) Flip pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked.
- Serve pancakes with butter and blueberry sauce
Base pancake recipe adapted from The Cake Boss
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g