Last pregnancy I only had one craving- mashed potatoes. I needed their bland carby-ness and it was the only thing that settled my stomach. This time- I crave 3 things: fresh squeezed OJ, bowls of cereal with lots of milk, and this. This lemony, crunchy, salty deliciousness is pretty much my favorite thing these days so I just had to share it with you. This isn’t a particularly seasonally appropriate recipe, or even anything too fancy to groundbreaking, but as I said- I’m obsessed.
Truth be told, I’ve been making this pasta salad for years, and I never really use a recipe. I toss the orzo with lemon & olive oil, add some crunchy cucumbers, grape tomatoes, kalmata olives, feta cheese and dill. Sometimes I add red onion, other times I have added some grilled shrimp. It is super adaptable, yielding, and better the longer it sits in the fridge. I did pay attention to what proportions I used for this version just because…you know…recipe blog, but just know that you can be flexible with it and taste here and there to add more/less of what you like. I hope you enjoy this light and delicious dish as much as I do- I promise a decadent dessert is up next!
- 2 cups cooked orzo
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Persian cucumbers*, chopped
- ½ cup of grape tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup of kalmata olives, chopped
- ¼ cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh dill
- salt & pepper to taste
- Toss the Orzo with the olive oil and lemon juice.
- Add the cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, feta and dill. Toss well to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in the fridge- serve room temperature or cold.