Looking for the perfect dessert to serve at your Cinco de Mayo celebration or happy hour? Look no further than Margarita Bars! These delicious dessert bars are a fun twist on traditional lemon bars and pack a punch of lime flavor similar to my favorite cocktail. With a shortbread crust and a hint of tequila, they’re the adult dessert that will make your party a hit.
Ingredients needed for Margarita Bars:
- Powdered sugar
- Fresh lime juice
- Lime zest
- Orange juice
Supplies needed for Margarita Bars:
- Large Bowl
- Food Processor (optional, you can also use an electric mixer)
- Wire Rack for cooling
- 8×8 pan
To make these easy lime bars, start by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C) and lining a square pan with parchment paper. In a mixing bowl combine flour, butter and powdered sugar until a crumbly dough forms. Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan to make the crust, then bake until golden brown and set.
While the crust is baking, whisk together egg yolks, lime zest, lime juice, tequila, and orange juice in a large bowl until well combined. Pour the filling over the hot crust and bake until set with small bubbles on top.
Let the bars cool to room temperature before cutting into squares. For the perfect finishing touch, sprinkle the top with a little powdered sugar and flaky sea salt.
These Margarita Bars are the perfect sweet treat to share with friends and family at your next Cinco de Mayo party or happy hour. They’re also a great way to switch up your dessert game and try something new.
Store leftover bars in an airtight container and store for up to a week.
Other Cinco de Mayo themed recipes:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 2/3 cup fresh lime juice, from 6 limes
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons tequila
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- flakey sea salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly spray an 8x8 -inch pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, mix butter and 1/4 cup powdered sugar, together with electric mixer. Add in the flour and pinch of salt on low speed, just until well combined. Press in pan. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until set and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar. Add in lime zest, lime juice, OJ and 1/2 tsp. salt . Whisk until smooth. Stir in tequila.
- Pour the lime mixture over partially baked crust. Bake 20-23 minutes longer or until center is set.
- Cool completely and then chill in fridge until ready to serve. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and a sprinkle of flakey sea salt and cut into bars. Store bars tightly covered in the fridge.
Optional - add a couple drops of green food coloring, I used natural food coloing which gave a subtle green look.
Note on pan size- I like a thick gooey filling and that was achieved with an 8x8 pan. If you want a thinner bar, double the crust portion and use a 9x13 pan!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g