Hello! I’ve been busy the last week- traveling around on the West coast and now back to Eastern time still having a hard time adjusting. I must be the worst person on the planet when it comes to time changes- it always takes me days to feel normal again. Plus- I started my baby registry the other day and I have been a bit obsessed. It’s really pretty incredibly fun but also stressful and confusing. I want the least amount of “stuff” as possible as we live in an apartment and I hate clutter. I’m trying to stick to the bare bones of baby things whenever I can. If you have any “must have” or “waste of space and money” suggestions please pass them on!
Anyway- it seems like the energy in the world shifts this time of year as the kiddos go back to school and we gear up for fall. I remember being so incredibly excited for my first day of school. I loved the school supplies, running to see my class list, and organizing my schedule. I seriously miss that feeling of excitement knowing that a new start was coming. (And I always had at least two first day of school outfits planned!)
For some reason, PB&J always gets me thinking of school starting. Maybe because it’s what I had in my lunch most days, or maybe it’s just the iconic flavor combo that makes me a bit nostalgic. Either way- I thought these would be the perfect back to school treat- two crisp and chewy peanut butter cookies with creamy peanut butter filling and a dollop of grape jelly. (I found some organic stuff at Trader Joes that is SO good and not full of artificial flavoring. Otherwise I would have used strawberry jam.)
To start- the peanut butter cookie recipe used here is my new favorite and really perfect. I’m always looking for that crispy edged, super chewy middle and this is it! I may or may not have eaten a few of them before making myself stop so I had some to fill with PB&J. The filling is the perfect touch of creamy peanut butter and fruity jelly that tastes like a little bit of childhood. I think I would be just about died if I found one of these in my lunch box instead of a sandwich!
- 1¼ cups (6.25 oz) unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream or milk
- ⅓ cup jelly or jam
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silpat- set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter and peanut butter together until smooth. Add the sugar and mix on medium-high speed until well combined- scraping the bowl as necessary. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the peanut butter mixer.
- Use a small scoop or a roll dough into 1 inch balls. (If you are rolling not scooping you may need to chill the dough slightly.)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes- the cookies won't look fully baked- (the edges should be golden.) Cool on cookie sheetings until set and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat together the butter and peanut butter. Add the powdered sugar and mix until dry and crumbly. Add one tablespoon of cream at a time. Mixture with be thick- but add another tablespoon of cream if needed.
- Pipe onto one side of the cookie pairings and top with a little dollop of jelly in the middle. Smoosh the top cookie onto the filled side and push the filling to the edges.