Hey guys guess what? This is my first post of something that I baked after having a baby! I’m pretty darn proud of myself. (Though I really can thank my Mother-in-law whose visit last week is likely how I managed this.) Anyway- I’m a mom now (!!!) and finding time to bake things usually entails crossing my fingers that Hugo stays sleeping in his little chair while I try to make things happen in the kitchen. So far I think *maybe* I can actually keep up this baking/blogging thing- but every day brings new changes and challenges so you never know.
I love these cupcakes because they are bursting with the flavors of one of my favorite candies- peppermint patties! Not only is one baked right into the center of this cupcake, but the creamy frosting, dark chocolate cake and candy on top all make this into a chocolate-peppermint-lover’s dream. I thought my sweet tooth would dissipate after pregnancy, but no such chance. (Which makes losing my baby weight a challenge.) Either way- I devoured this cupcake and feel so good to be back in the saddle! Hopefully I’ll have lots more delicious recipes in the coming weeks- either way, thanks for your patience! :)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 24 peppermint patties
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 1/8 tsp of peppermint extract
- a few drops of green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners; set aside.
- Stir together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Add water, oil, and vanilla, and mix until smooth, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to assure batter is well mixed.
- Fill each cupcake liner half-way with batter. Top with a peppermint patty and then with another dollop of batter- ending up to be about 2/3 of the way full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.
For the Frosting
- Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the butter until smooth and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, a cup at a time, until mixture is dry and and almost crumbly. Add the extract, food coloring, and then milk- a little at a time until frosting is smooth, creamy and spreadable.
- Pipe or spread frosting onto cupcakes and top with a peppermint patty.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g