I’ve been waiting since May for a couple quarts of those adorable teeny farm-picked strawberries that make for the most delicious baked treats. They came to NYC late this year and I always seem to miss them at the Greenmarket. Finally Friday was my day! Right before my favorite produce stand closed, I got my hands on two heaping quarts of these little beauties and I knew a weekend of berry-licious baking was in my future. (You may be getting two strawberry recipes this week- hope you don’t mind!)
I’ve been hearing lots about roasting strawberries as a way to release their natural juices and create a delicious caramelized flavor. I thought it would be fun to incorporate some of these into pancakes and it sure was! These were bursting with strawberry flavor, super light and fluffy, and topped with more roasted berries and lots of maple syrup – they are the best breakfast I’ve had in ages. Happy Monday!!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, or 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour and 1/2 white
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- For the Berries:
- 2 1/2 cups sliced and hulled strawberries
- sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Spread the berries evenly on a rimmed, foil-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar. Roast for 10-15 minutes or until juices have been released and the berries are tender.
- Drain berries reserving the juice. Set aside.
For the Pancakes:
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and then add the buttermilk, oil, egg, and 2 tablespoons of the strawberry juice, whisking until well-combined. Fold in 1/4 cup of the roasted strawberries.
- Pour pancake batter into a well-buttered skillet- flipping when bubbles have popped and the bottom is golden. Top with roasted strawberries and maple syrup.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g