Sometimes my kitchen mistakes end in epic disaster with me in almost-tears and my small countertop full of messy bowls, spoons and pretty much every utensil I have. Other times-a huge mistake like leaving out an entire stick of butter from a cookie recipe, ends up with me creating something I actually really love. That’s how these cookies came to life.
A few weeks ago when I was making these Brown Butter Confetti Cookies, I thought I was halving the whole recipe, but only reduced the quantity of butter and left the rest as it. I knew something seemed wrong, but before I realized what I needed to do, I baked one of the “mistake cookies” without adding any mix-ins just to see what was up. The lesser amount of butter resulted in a super thick and puffy cookie with a crisp exterior and a really chewy inside. It basically tasted like a chewy brown butter sugar cookie, and the texture reminded me of a snickerdoodle, dying to be rolled in cinnamon sugar.
So, it was only a matter of time before I attempted this “mistake” again, this time with a few more tweaks, (adding in a little more of the butter I mistakenly left out. )I made mine small and almost bite-sized, which resulted in the perfect delicious portion. I wish all my epic fails resulted in something wonderful….if only! :)
- 1 stick plus 3 tablespoons of salted butter. (11 tablespoons)
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- To brown butter- place butter in a heat-proof bowl with a plate or other snug cover in the microwave. Cook on high for 5-7 minutes. Butter will pop, sizzle and become perfectly browned.
- Transfer butter to a large mixing bowl and with an electric mixer or whisk, mix in the sugars until smooth and well-combined. Add the egg, yolk and vanilla, and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Gradually add them to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Combine the 3 tablespoons of sugar and cinnamon in a shallow dish. Scoop dough into equal 1 inch sized portions, roll into balls and coat in cinnamon sugar. Place dough balls an inch apart on parchment or silpat-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms of the cookies are golden. Right after coming out of the oven, gently pat the tops of the cookies with a spatula to flatten. (To add some extra cracks!)