If you’re looking for a delicious and unique cookie recipe, look no further than these Strawberry Lemonade Cookies! They are easy to make and the flavor combo is sweet, tart, and refreshing. These are the best cookies for spring or summer, a baby shower, brunch spread, or anytime you want chewy cookies with a beautiful fruity twist.
The base cookie is a soft and chewy lemon sugar cookie, but the frosting is the star of the show here, which is made with a key ingredient: freeze dried strawberries, which is my favorite way to color and flavor fruity frostings. You crush them into a powder and fold it into the frosting which is the perfect way to get a beautiful pink color and bright strawberry flavor. Fresh strawberries can leave the frosting a bit runny so I prefer using freeze dried!
Ingredients needed for Strawberry Lemonade Cookies:
- All purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Baking powder
- Freeze dried strawberries
- Powdered sugar
- Milk or cream
- Large Bowl
- Medium Bowl
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Baking Sheet
- Wire Rack
How to Make Strawberry Lemonade Cookies:
To start, preheat your oven to 350°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream butter with sugar and lemon zest. Add the eggs and vanilla, and mix until fluffy. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture until a dough forms. Using a cookie scoop or a small ice cream scoop, portion each lemon cookie dough ball onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown around the edges.
Once the cookies are done, transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. While they are cooling, make the strawberry buttercream frosting by using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment butter until creamy. Gradually add in 1 and 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice, and 1/4 cup of crushed freeze-dried strawberries, and mix until smooth and creamy. Add more lemon juice or powdered sugar as needed.
Once the cookies are completely cool, spread a generous dollop of the strawberry buttercream frosting on top of each one. If serving right away, garnish with fresh strawberries.
Want to make raspberry lemonade cookies? Sub for freeze dried raspberries instead!
So the next time you’re in the mood for a sweet treat, give these Strawberry Lemonade Cookies a try. They are the perfect combination of sweet and tangy, and they are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. Happy baking!
For the Cookies:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1½ sticks, 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, plus one egg yolk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract, or juice in a pinch
- zest of one lemon
For the Frosting:
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup freeze-dried strawberries- ground into powder
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- splash of milk or cream
For the Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In a large bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and yolk and mix until smooth.
- Add the extracts and zest and continue to mix until incorporated.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients and beat on low until just combined.
- Use a small cookie scoop to portion dough and then roll into balls and flatted slightly with your fingertips. Place dough 2-3 inches apart on a sil-pat or parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 9-11 minutes or until just set on the edges. (Cookies won't be golden.) Chill dough in between baking each batch.
- Allow cookies to cool before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- Cream the butter with the strawberry powder and 2 cups of powdered sugar until thick and creamy. Add a splash of milk and the rest of the powdered sugar gradually until frosting is thick, smooth, and spreadable.
- Pipe or spread frosting on cooled cookies.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g