I don’t always get in the spirit of baking with holidays in mind, but when I do I like to go all out! It seems too perfect that July is the height of berry season which lends to a perfectly patriotic color scheme. This berry tart is light, fruity and super easy!
A buttery crust is filled with a simple lemon-cream cheese filling and topped with mixed berries. To make it even extra cute and festive- I cut some stars out of extra crust and sprinkled them with coarse sugar. They make the cutest topping to this tart- (if you can resist snacking on them!)
When it comes to summer desserts to serve on a warm summer day, I can’t think of anything better than lemony, fresh, berry tart can you? (Well- I also would love ice cream, popsicles, fruit pies, and more so there’s that.)
I’m heading to Wisconsin with Hugo later this week to celebrate the 4th with my family- then the following weekend, Andy is joining me and we’re heading to an overnight wedding sans baby. I was feeling super nervous about it at first, but he will be in great hands with my Mom and I’m actually getting pretty incredibly excited for a night to ourselves. (Though I know I’ll be missing baby boy the whole time…)
Check back for another great recipe on Wednesday!!
- 2½ cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 sticks of butter, cold, chopped into pieces
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ cup ice water
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups of mixed berries
- 1 beaten egg
- coarse sugar for sprinkling
- In a food processor, mix the flour and sugar together for a few seconds. Add the butter and process for a 20-30 seconds until coarse crumbs form. With the machine running add the yolks and ice water until dough comes together. Form into 1 large disc and wrap with plastic wrap- chill for at least an hour.
- Roll the crust out to about ⅛ inch thick, and cut off a section large enough to cover base and sides of a 9-inch fluted tart pan. Trim edges; place sheet of foil into pastry and fill with pie weights (or dried beans); bake 20-25 minutes at 375F. Remove foil and beans and bake a further 5 minutes; allow to cool.
- While the crust is baking, use a small star cutter and cut starts from the remaining dough. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake the stars for about 7 minutes (once the tart shell is done.)
- For the filling- cream together the cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice, and zest. Chill until ready to use.
- Once the tart shell is cooled, spread the cream cheese filling along the bottom. Arrange the berries all over the filling, and top with cooled pastry stars. Keep chilled until ready to serve.