Summer is here! Ok maybe not officially for another month or so, but it was 80s and humid today so I think that counts. I took Hugo downtown to the West Village and he they had the sprinklers on which to him, is probably the most exciting thing on the planet. Seriously- I don’t think I have ever ever loved anything as much as that child loves running through a sprinkler. It’s really pretty awesome to watch- everyone was laughing and just in awe of his joyful shrieks!
Anyway- I may not love baking with summer fruits as much as Hugo loves sprinklers, but it’s pretty darn close. Fresh and juicy strawberries seem to be popping up all over and I just love baking them into a variety of treats. I realized that it has been ages since I’ve posted a muffin recipe so I figured it was time to change that with these fruity beauties.
These soft and tender muffins are full of juicy berries with a creamy filling that just takes them over the top. They have a crisp, sugared top and the filling just adds a little extra bit of richness to this already wonderful recipe. I think these would be the perfect addition to a gorgeous brunch spread don’t you?
Hooray for summer, more recipes with our favorite seasonal fruits, and babies running through sprinklers…(I’m gonna have to post a video of that to Instagram soon!)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- coarse sugar for sprinkling
For the filling:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375F. Fill 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, milk, vanilla, and egg. Add the sugars and whisk until smooth.
- Sprinkle the salt, baking soda and flour over the wet ingredients. Whisk gently to combine. Fold in the strawberries.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 of the way full (batter will be thick.) Sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the tops bounce back when lightly pressed and/or a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
For the filling:
- Cream together the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Use a sharp paring knife to core out a small hole in the top of each muffin. Pipe or dollop some filling into each hole.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Bring to room temp before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g