Come December, I kinda expect everywhere I go to be filled with the smell of pine and cinnamon. You know- everything that makes up our favorite holiday aroma: sugar, spice etc. Its crazy how a smell has the power to make us all warm, fuzzy, and full of holiday cheer. Don’t you agree? That’s precisely why these buns are just everything I want this time of year. The smell of the baking fills the kitchen and the hallways and just made me so happy.
These are pretty close to classic cinnamon rolls, but with the most wonderful mixture of spices. Cardamom, ginger, cloves & allspice all together with the cinnamon and brown sugar create a truly amazing combo. Topped with a simple cardamon glaze these are just the perfect chilly December breakfast.
This recipe was developed for Clabber Girl Baking Powder, the thoughts and opinions are always 100% my own!
For the Dough:
- 1 .25 ounce package active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
For the Filling
- 2 tablespoons of butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 cup brown sugar
For the glaze
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamon
- splash of milk
- Extra butter for greasing bowl and pan
- In a large bowl combine the yeast, 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt. Stir together and then add the butter and milk. Use a spatula to stir until a shaggy dough has formed.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, adding more flour as needed (I added another 1/2 cup.)
- Transfer dough to a lightly buttered bowl and cover with a clean dish cloth. Place somewhere warm and let proof for 30 minutes or until puffy and doubled in size.
- Meanwhile stir together the brown sugar & filling spices and set aside.
- Prepare a mega muffin tin by buttering each well. Set aside.
- When the dough has proofed. Roll it to a 9x12 rectangle on a floured surface. Spread with the butter and then evenly sprinkle the filling all over. Roll the dough, starting on one of the short ends. Pinch to seal.
- Use a serrated knife to cut into 6 equal pieces. Place each roll into a muffin tin well. Cover with the cloth and allow to proof for another 20-30 minutes or until doubled (They will be totally poofy at this point.)
- Bake at 375F for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
For the glaze:
- Whisk together the melted butter, powdered sugar, cardamon & milk. Add a teeny bit more milk if needed to reach drizzling consistency.
- Serve warm.
I made these in a mega muffin tin, yielding 6 large buns. You could also use a regular 12-well muffin tin or even a 8x8 baking pan.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g