Introduction:If you’re looking for a delightful and fragrant dessert to accompany your afternoon tea, look no further than the luscious Lemon Lavender Pound Cake. This recipe combines the tangy zest of lemon with the aromatic essence of lavender to create a pound cake that is both refreshing and indulgent. With the perfect balance of flavors and a tender crumb, this cake is sure to become a favorite among family and friends. So, let’s dive into the recipe and learn how to create this culinary masterpiece.
Ingredients needed for Lemon Lavender Pound Cake:
- All purpose flour
- Unsalted butter (room temperature)
- Fresh lemon juice & zest
- Culinary lavender buds
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- Powdered Sugar for glaze
Supplies needed for Lemon Lavender Pound Cake:
- Large bowl
- Medium bowl
- Small bowl
- Rubber Spatula
- Electric or stand mixer
- 9×5 loaf pan
How to make Lemon Lavender Cake:
Preheat the oven to 350°F a 9×5-inch loaf pans. Line the bottom with parchment paper for easy removal.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set dry ingredients aside. In another small bowl stir together 1 tsp of the lavender buds with the lemon juice and crush the buds up a bit to release the flavor.
In a large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, (or with an electric mixer,) cream butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. This will take about 2-3 minutes on medium-high speed.
Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the lemon zest and vanilla extract. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture in three parts, alternating with the Greek yogurt. Begin and end with the flour mixture.
Slowly add the lemon juice/lavender combo to the batter, mixing until just combined.
Pour batter into the prepared pan(s) and smooth the top with a spatula. Tap the pan(s) on the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles.
Bake in the preheated oven for 55-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. The cake should be golden brown and have a light spring to the touch.
While the cake is baking make a lemon lavender syrup by mixing together lemon, 1 tsp of lavender buds, and sugar. Cook until the sugar is dissolved and then let it sit until the cake is done. Carefully remove the cake from the pan(s) and transfer it to a wire rack placed over a baking sheet or parchment paper.
Brush warm cake with the syrup and then drizzle lemon glaze on top. Sprinkle dried lavender on top for garnish.
How to store Lemon Lavender Cake:
Wrap leftover cooled cake with plastic wrap to keep the moisture in. Store at room temperature for 2-3 days or wrap freeze individual slices to last longer.
With its bright lemon zest, delicate lavender flavor, and moist texture, this Lemon Lavender Pound Cake is a true delight for the senses. Whether you’re hosting a tea party or simply craving a sweet treat, this recipe is sure to impress!
Other favorite pound cake recipes:
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour (180g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar, (200g) plus ⅓ cup (67 g) for glaze
- zest of two lemons
- 4 eggs- room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup lemon juice for cake (2 oz) , plus ⅓ cup (2.6 oz) for syrup and 2 tablespoon for glaze
- 2T culinary lavender buds
- ½ cup greek yogurt (143 g)
- ½ cup powdered sugar (50g)
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine the culinary lavender buds and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Crush the lavender buds slightly using a spoon to release their flavor. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or you can use a hand mixer,) cream the butter, lemon zest and cup of the sugar until smooth.
- Add the eggs one and a time followed by the vanilla. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until almost combined. Fold in the yogurt, finish mixing on low until combined. Finally fold in the lavender mixture (Batter won't be perfectly smooth but that's Ok.)
- Pour batter into a buttered/floured 9 inch loaf pan. Bake at 325F for 60-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- For the Syrup: In a small saucepan over medium heat stir together ⅓ cup of lemon juice and ⅓ cup sugar, and 1 tsp lavender buds until sugar has dissolved. Allow to sit while the cake cooks and then strain the lavender out before using.
- For the Glaze: Gradually add the lemon juice to the powdered sugar until desired drizzling consistency is reached. Add more juice/sugar as needed until it's as thick as you like.
- To Finish: Turn the warm cake onto a wire rack and poke all over with a fork or skewer. Brush generously with the lemon syrup. (Do this when the cake is still warm!) Pour the glaze over the top. Serve warm or room temperature
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g