Last week I visited my family in Wisconsin as I mentioned, and I ate an excessive amount of ice cream. I mean what else do you do in the Dairy State when your parents live 5 minutes away from the best frozen custard on the planet? I also made 2 batches of my favorite Salted Caramel Sauce which is just begging to be drizzled over some ice cream. Needless to say, I ate my weight in ice cream and couldn’t be happier.
I churned up this beauty right before leaving town and it kept Andy feeling loved the whole time he was home alone without me & Hugo. (Who got his first TWO teeth this weekend by the way- how has time gone by so quickly!?) In a way I’m glad there is no more left in the freezer because I need a small break!
This ice cream is outstanding- a creamy cheesecake base with a raspberry swirl and graham cracker crumbs. It is refreshing, tart and rich at the same time. Of course you can mix it up and do a swirl of blueberries or strawberries instead. There’s something about the tart raspberries that I’m extra crazy about though- so good!
- 8 oz cream cheese, cut into pieces
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup crushed graham crackers
- 1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
- 3 to 4 tablespoons sugar
- a few drops of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vodka
For the Ice Cream:
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the cream cheese, zest, sour cream, half & half, sugar and salt. Pureé until smooth. Chill thoroughly before churning- (I prefer overnight.)
- While you're waiting for the ice cream to chill you can prepare the raspberry sauce by smashing the raspberries a bit and and combining them with the sugar and vodka. Store in the fridge until the ice cream is ready.
- Once chilled, churn the ice cream according to your maker's instructions and layer in a container with the raspberry sauce and the graham crackers. Freeze for a few hours to firm up.
Recipe Adapted from: The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g