Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Bars

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Bars via The Baker Chick

One by one I will get through all my old ugly picture posts and revamp them! You see some of those oldies are really really delicious but too poorly photographed to get any notice at this stage in the game. I made these Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Bars when my blog was a baby but they sure were amazing. I’ve been dying to re-make them for awhile and last weekend with my in-laws was the perfect chance.

When I originally made these it was my first experience with rhubarb and I’ve been in love ever since. I just adore it’s tartness combined with sweet strawberries. The buttery crumb-y crust is the perfect home for a layer of the sweet-tart filling, making an easy and delicious dessert.

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Bars via The Baker Chick

We enjoyed these with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, but they are really great on their own as well. Rhubarb desserts always mark the beginning of spring for me, and man am I glad it has finally arrived! These bars are perfect for warm weather cook-outs and picnics because they’re easy to transport and great at room temperature. (Now I jsut need to be invited to a cook out or picnic so I can make them!)

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Bars via The Baker Chick

• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats*
  • 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Combine rhubarb, strawberries and lemon juice in 2-quart saucepan. Cover- cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fruit is tender (8 to 12 minutes).
  2. Combine 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch in small bowl, stir into fruit mixture. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil (after about 1 minute). Continue boiling until thickened-remove from heat, and set aside.
  3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine all crust ingredients in large bowl. Combine by hand or with an mixer on low speed, scraping bowl often, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  4. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the crumb mixture. Press the rest of the crumb mixture onto bottom of a greased 13x9-inch baking pan. Spread filling over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
  5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares and serving.

*If you don't have quick oats, you can pulse some old fashioned oats in a food processor to break them down a bit :)

Recipe adapted from: Land O'Lakes

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Bars via The Baker Chick  Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Bars via The Baker Chick  Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Bars via The Baker Chick

These look amazing! Anything with the word “crumble” in it is usually guaranteed to be fabulous.

I’ve actually never had rhubard, but I think this recipe would be a great way to try it! I’ll let you know when and how it goes. :-)

Hi! Just found your blog while I was going trough my foodbuzz friends list. I loved your picture, and I became curious about your blog! Turns out, I really like your style. And I can’t wait to give these bars a try.. Heading over to my greengrocer to buy some fresh rhubarb right now!

3. Mnursey says

Made these today! Deeeelicious! I used Becel margarine in place of butter, and having made the peach+plum combo before w/ butter, I now prefer margarine! I got carried away making the filling and made too much …. it fell apart when I cut into this deliciousness, but the trick here is to be patient and wait a minimum of 1 1/2 hrs-2hrs until these bars are room temperature and not a degree warmer, they’ll firm up and eating them will be much more pleasant, and I found the flavours really came through when it’s completely cooled. So for anyone reading who wants to make a lot, that’s my tip!
    Thanks so much to author for recipe!

Glad I’m not the only on re-photographing — feels like I’ve learned so much since before blogging. I’m just a little embarrassed by my first half-assed attempts at food photography… so I’ve started phasing them out, too ;) These look awesome.

5. Molly says

I bake something for work every Friday. With very few exceptions the recipe always comes from your blog and when it does every always loves it! There are the current favorite. Thanks so much for all the great ideas!

6. shirley says

These bars are delicious! My daughter and I were looking for a recipe that didn’t have too much sugar. As soon as they were out of the oven we fell in love with them. When I returned home I made them for my husband (loved them) and a batch for his co-workers. Needless to say, your website and this recipe are being shared with many! Thanks!!

7. Kyra says

I can vouch for these. The first time I made these they were almost gone before the pan was even cool. Every time I announce that I’m making them they are met with ooh’s of delight. I let my strawberry-rhubarb mixture cook down until it’s a delicious, slightly chunky goop. This is seriously the best recipe ever. I’ll make a batch of the filling, and do a small crumble and a batch of the strawberry cupcakes that have the same filling. Seriously, go get some strawberries and rhubarb and make this right now!