Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake
Revamping this recipe that was originally posted in 2011.
Does it feel like fall where you live?
We had a minute of cooler temps after a week of blistering heat mid September, and how it’s back to mid 80s. I know Chicago winter will be here any minute, so I don’t want to wish it away, but seriously can we just have a little fall?
I want a week of mid 60s with brisk mornings that require scarves and warm coffees in hand…..instead, I’ll deal with mid 80s today by taking my kids to the zoo and eating this cake to get me into the fall spirit.
This recipe is simple and delicious. I used 3 large apples I picked from the orchard a couple weeks ago, baked them into a light and fluffy cake, and topped it with some homemade caramel sauce.
It was sweet and rich enough to be eaten for dessert, but with coffee and some fruit I think it would be a perfect in the morning.
I used a tube pan, but you can totally use a bundt pan or even a round 9-inch cake pan- anything that can be flipped over to get that caramel-y goodness on the bottom.
Wish me some fall vibes you guys- I hope where you live is crisp and lovely today!
Caramel Apple Coffee Cake
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup sour cream, plain yogurt, or buttermilk also work.
- 2-3 apples, unpeeled and sliced
- 1 cup caramel sauce*
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9/10 inch bundt, ring or tube pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar until sandy. Mix in the eggs and vanilla until smooth and combined.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add about a third to the butter mixture and whisk together just until blended. (as the batter gets thicker you may need to change to a wooden spoon.) Add half the sour cream, another third of the dry ingredients, the rest of the sour cream, and the rest of the dry ingredients, stirring by hand just until combined.
- Drizzle the bottom of the pan with 1/4 cup caramel sauce. Arrange a layer of sliced apples onto the top of the caramel. Scrape the batter into the pan on top of the apples.
- Add the rest of the apples onto the surface of the batter, arranging them however you like – they will shrink as they cook, so feel free to place them tightly together.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until the cake is springy to the touch.
- Let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes and then on a cooling rack. When mostly cooled, invert cake and drizzle with remaining caramel sauce.
*homemade is the best but store bought caramel is ok too
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
The cake looks wonderful and I am constantly searching for a spot with good natural light in my house lol.
This looks absolutely delicious and easy! I LOVE apple recipes…and I too have yet to post an apple cake one!! Love the Betty Crocker comment..haha
Baking while traveling. What a champ. This cakes looks gorgeous and the photos turned out really well. I usually cook in the evening so it is quite the treat to get natural light in my house :)
Great cake! And for some reason it didn’t occur to me that some recipes are better hand mixed. Might have to use that more often.
Sounds like a full house, but you can count on them enjoying and eating all your baked goods! The cake does look tasty-love the flavor combo.
That awards ceremony is coming up fast-which means that you will be getting that butterfly feeling in your stomach soon (if you don’t have it already)!
Mmmm so yummy sounding! Can’t wait to try this!
This looks great. Wish I had a slice right now to go with my cup of tea
This sounds great :)
omg i have to try this
Julie has fantastic recipes, doesn’t she? Fabulous adaptation :)
This cake looks like a winner to me! Yum yum!
Holy yum! This looks fabulous. The combination of apples and caramel is always heavenly! I feel for you for having to live with 5 dudes ;) Hope you’re having fun!
This cake looks so good. I love caramel-apple combinations but I’ve made anything myself with. You live with 5 guys! I wish I could live with 5 guys… so I could bake lots more stuff. Seriously my freezer gets piled with baked goods so quickly since I don’t eat it all.
This looks wonderful, Audra! Recipe is perfect for breakfast or even when I have company..beautiful post and fantastic pictures!!Nicely done as always!
Wow, 5 dudes? Hahaha, that must be an adventure! I bet they LOVE you even more because of your delicious creations! This looks amazing, so sweet, but light at the same time.
Ooooh this looks super yummy! I love it!
Beautiful cake and lucky you with all that natural lighting.
Oh, sweet caramel coated mercy. I was debating making an apple cake tomorrow and I think I found the recipe I will try. If you can make this in a not-so-stocked kitchen, I have no excuse not to!!
Looks amazing. Feel free to share on our facebook page: Carolina HeartStrings . Yum.
How did I miss this post! The coffee cake astounding!
Can you use this spiced cake as a cupcake. Possibly with caramel Frosting?
Love your recipes. I’m from Chicago too
Yes I would think so! I’d add the apple too though, diced. :)
I also have an Apple Cider Cupcake Recipe that may be what you’re looking for too!
This looks so yummy! Definitely going to make this! Here’s a recipe I think you might like: Thai Style Coconut Chicken